Wood Splitter Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a 28 ton Swisher with a 10 1/2 B&S;engine. To tell the truth I think it is over powered for most of what we are doing right now. I can idol the engine, or maybe about 1/4 throttle, and I am splitting some really nasty large elm. 20" rounds and a fair number of tough crotch pieces. So far the splitter has just barely slowed down and hasn't even thought about stalling while splitting. I love this thing!!! My wife or the kids run the lever and I position the rounds. Works great so far. I can't say what the troy-built unit is like, but the power level is right, IMHO.

Ken45 said:
Wow, that looks nice, I especially like the fixed wedge and the way it pushes the splits off the end of the table. And the table itself looks very useful.

How does it work, direct drive from the engine? The U-Tube video didn't sound like the engine ever labored at all. What happens when it runs into a crotch or something really difficult? Does the engine stall?

Ken

the engine driver a belt that turns two 100lb fly wheels at about 300 rpm's when you pull the handle up a gear on the flywheels locks in and the momentum from the flywheels driver the ram out. There are return springs that bring it back. it will cut through most crotch's and knots but the really tough ones will disengage the ram them you pull the lever again. In the 4 cords or so of fresh green wood we have cut we have not found a piece we could not split and only a hand full take two hits. Also the machine we bought is 9 years old and it cuts just like the one in the video. there are more videos on there wedsite www.supersplit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.