Wood Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason A

Jun 27, 2018
Temple, New Hampshire
Hey all,

I hope summer is treating everybody well. I was burning into June this year so I’m looking forward to hopefully three months of wood stove down time.

I’m finally breaking down and exploring purchasing a wood splitter. I’ve never owned one and know next to nothing about them. I would appreciate any advice anybody has to offer. I burn primarily maple, oak and beech. Some of the maple is so knotty it laughs in the face of my fiskars splitting maul.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Moved to the Gear forum. There's lots of good info on splitters here. My preference is for splitters that can split vertically as well as horizontally. A 25 Ton splitter has handled anything we have thrown at it.

Reactions: Dix and Lone_Gun
I also have the 22 ton DHT, before that I had the 20 ton predator model. both do a great job, but the predator doesn't split vertically.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/log-splitter-from-big-box-store.163271/
Post #18, as well as others there
Given that information however, I went with a countyline 25t. The cost involved to meet the suggestions on the above link was part of the reason. I think what I ended up with is an alternative I can be comfortable with. It's finely tuned to perform with the toughest of woods available here (knotty white oak), with adequate speed and a sturdy feel. The machine is relatively lite, maneuverable, easy to up end to vertical with an auto catch pin to easily lower back to horizontal. The leveling jack is easy to set for spring retract, or set to down position and also is a handy grab bar for moving. The engine is off the shelf common, starts easy, and is easily accessible. It operates well from one side, less so on the other. The price is right for me, considering my use (5cord/yr, 20hrs max), and what I was willing to invest.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
You can go to youtube and watch tons of videos to give you an idea of what you might want. Also keep an eye on the movement of the machine and valve as they use it. I prefer a horizontal shaft engine and pump.

I have a Troy Built 27 ton vertical / horizontal, towable (huge, huge, plus, IMHO !).

Bought it used, 6 years ago from a good friend for $750, and never looked back. Has handled everything I've thrown at it. It's maybe 10 years old.

Routine maintenance, is required to keep them running well.

That being said, the Splitter Doctor is coming tomorrow. I've got a flat tire (never replaced in all this time!), and now will not start. :mad:

Reactions: EODMSgt
I have a Troy Built 27 ton vertical / horizontal, towable (huge, huge, plus, IMHO !).

Bought it used, 6 years ago from a good friend for $750, and never looked back. Has handled everything I've thrown at it. It's maybe 10 years old.

Routine maintenance, is required to keep them running well.

That being said, the Splitter Doctor is coming tomorrow. I've got a flat tire (never replaced in all this time!), and now will not start. :mad:

Same here. Bought a Troy-Bilt 27 ton ten years ago and other than one tire that went flat every year (finally replaced a few years ago), have never had a problem with it. Countless cords have gone through it. Just picked up a cradle for it this year so looking forward to finally having that.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC00318.JPG
    DSC00318.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun and Dix
DIY log table.

Last edited:
Make sure to get the specs for any used model you might be considering. Those 27-ton Troy-Bilt models had slow cycle times, with some at 19 seconds (ugh!). With today's entry level splitters at 11 seconds, I'd think twice before throwing good money at a slow used model.

Last edited:
Make sure to get the specs for any used model you might be considering. Those 27-ton Troy-Bilt models had slow cycle times, with some at 19 seconds (ugh!). With today's entry level splitters at 11 seconds, I'd think twice before throwing good money at a slow used model.

If it needs a tire, and a tune up, I am so freaking in ;):)

Reactions: Lone_Gun