Wood Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 2, 2018
Maine
Was going to get some various sized crates at work today, thought about using them for wood storage, think I am inviting trouble with closed containers or do you think they should breath enough to let out water vapor? Wood is down to 20% MC already. Thought it would keep stuff dry through the fall and winter. Thanks for suggestions.

upload_2019-9-4_8-46-1.png

upload_2019-9-4_8-46-31.png

I wouldn't want to close the wood up, just get some pallets and stack it on them and put a tarp over the top.

You might get a little mold if the conditions let the wood dry more and the moisture's trapped inside, but I don't think it'll make much difference. I use metal trash cans with lids to store dried wood in my shop to reduce the fire risk. I fill up three 30 and 40 gallon metal trash cans and put the lids on, and the wood is stored there anywhere from a few weeks to all summer. I've never noticed a difference between wood from the open pile in the barn or wood that's been in a can/lid for 5 months. As long as it's dry when you store it I would think it would be fine. Curt

Was going to get some various sized crates at work today, thought about using them for wood storage, think I am inviting trouble with closed containers or do you think they should breath enough to let out water vapor? Wood is down to 20% MC already. Thought it would keep stuff dry through the fall and winter. Thanks for suggestions.

View attachment 247165

View attachment 247166

Looks like at least one is on casters. That’s nice for moving wood around once full. If already seasoned I think you’ll be fine.

If you are overly concerned and don’t mind altering the functionality of the containers, maybe take a doorknob drill bit/arbored round saw bit and drill holes in the lid to allow for air escape.

Hmmm . . . where do you suppose NorthernFireplaceFool lives or works? ;) :)

I'm not sure how good those would be at long term storage, but I bet with a bit of work and creativity one could make a wicked nice woodbox for use beside the woodstove.