agartner said:Wow, Ex - looks like ya struck a chord here. There are lots of folks here with lots of time and experience burning and many who rely on their stoves as their only source of heat.
You mentioned in your original post that you loaded the fire, let it catch for 5 or 10 minutes, then choked it down to a smoulder. This is a bad thing. It will build creosote (our sworn enemy) in your chimney, plug your cap, expel tons of smoke, and could lead to a dangerous situation.
Burn your stove efficiently while you are home. Learn it and understand it to the point where you ~know~ what your stove will do 1 hour, 4 hours, and 8 hours from the time you load and start it. Once you know it, you'll be confident in it and the question of "leaving it burning while not at home" won't even be of the slightest concern to you.
Just noticed your question, jetmech.jetmech said:Have left the Intrepid ii alone for hours with no worrys, mine is a older 1303 that i completly rebuilt. SantaCruzBluz just curious how you like your intrepid.. have been kicking around replacing mine.....
shawneyboy said:I have friends who still have an open fireplace, they were leaving it unattended, which I told them and we all know is NOT A GOOD IDEA !
the only thing my insurance company said to me is it has to be installed to the manufacturer's specs. If that is the case, and you are using it how intended, then I don't see the problem. I went overboard and went over the specs for my hearth size and put an air gap behind the stove. If the stove was at 1100 degrees or something, then I would imagine you might be negligent but I would think they might cover it anyway....don't know why they wouldn't cover it. Would it cover if you had a grease fire on your regular stove? Insurance is for accidents is the way I look at it.I see it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but it seems the most relevant place for my question. If I run my stove while I'm at work, and my house burns down and the fire inspector determines it was caused by the wood stove, what are the chances that my home owners insurance will cover my loss?
I see it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but it seems the most relevant place for my question. If I run my stove while I'm at work, and my house burns down and the fire inspector determines it was caused by the wood stove, what are the chances that my home owners insurance will cover my loss?