Wood stove cap drip

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

K5BEAST

Oct 5, 2022
North Idaho
Old wood stove, 6in pipe. Exits house about 12ft up, another 3ft above roof. I get creosote condensation on the cap which in turn drops onto my metal roof. This eats through the metal roofing over a few years. What's the solution? I'm tired of replacing metal....lol

Is the stove connected to class A chimney pipe? Post a picture of the stove inside with the connector and the outside showing the chimney and we'll see if something is amiss.

In general, keep the flue gases hotter by not smoldering the fire and only burning fully seasoned firewood. For oak that could mean 2-3 yrs after being split and stacked.

Old wood stove, 6in pipe. Exits house about 12ft up, another 3ft above roof. I get creosote condensation on the cap which in turn drops onto my metal roof. This eats through the metal roofing over a few years. What's the solution? I'm tired of replacing metal....lol
There are some inverted cone caps available but it depends what chimney you have