Wood stove chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kocky129

Sep 11, 2022
Ny
Hello everyone! Redoing my wood stove chimney. Just took down existing chimney that was built with chimney block and clay flues. Plan on redoing with chimney block. Should I use clay flues again. Or go with a single wall or double wall pipe instead clay flues. Chimney is on exterior of house.

Hello everyone! Redoing my wood stove chimney. Just took down existing chimney that was built with chimney block and clay flues. Plan on redoing with chimney block. Should I use clay flues again. Or go with a single wall or double wall pipe instead clay flues. Chimney is on exterior of house.
I would recommend an insulated stainless liner. They simply work better

And it (insulated) is necessary (per code) if the clearance from the outside of the block to any combustibles (siding, plywood, studs) is less than 1" if the chimney is completely outside. (And 2" if partially or fully inside.)