Wood stove clearance to exposed overhead beam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Check the actual manual on hand. Strange that a summit only requires 54"s off the top but the vista needs 58"?

Yeah. This Regency manual doesn't have anything other than "ceiling height". Great eh?

Currently waiting on them to get back to me too...

You are overthinking the beam becoming the ceiling height. The beam is a protrusion down from the ceiling IMO.

Reactions: salad
I really hope so! I'm very excited about the idea of having a fire inside the house instead of that piece of crap outdoor unit.

Ever run into a Central Boiler Classic before? They are awful machines with offensively low efficiency. The only "design" on them is the logo. Unfortunately I'll need to it burning so that the rest of the house gets heat but any less fuel that goes into it is a huge improvement.

I have never serviced a single outdoor wood boiler, so no.

Literally a firebox covered with water. No refractory, no heat exchanger. Nothing but a triangle. Net efficiency of a new unit is like 22%. Smoke monster supreme, very hungry. Never mind gassification, this thing is more like a liquifier lol.

At any rate, my insurance company rocks:

"
If the insured has a WETT inspector working with him, and provides a WETT certificate on the installation, we would accept this.

Also, I have run this scenario past one of our inspectors, and if the main ceiling height is 90” and the beams are not directly above but only in proximity, this 1” deficiency would not be an issue for us.
"

Reactions: kennyp2339
Literally a firebox covered with water. No refractory, no heat exchanger. Nothing but a triangle. Net efficiency of a new unit is like 22%. Smoke monster supreme, very hungry. Never mind gassification, this thing is more like a liquifier lol.

At any rate, my insurance company rocks:

"
If the insured has a WETT inspector working with him, and provides a WETT certificate on the installation, we would accept this.

Also, I have run this scenario past one of our inspectors, and if the main ceiling height is 90” and the beams are not directly above but only in proximity, this 1” deficiency would not be an issue for us.
"
I would treat that beam just as a plain combustible - >18" minimum only

Reactions: salad
An excellent point. I will run it by them as well.

Same BlueRidgeMark from CF? I haven't had much time to hang out in forums for a few months.

Oh, hi there, Oh Green Leafy One! I didn't notice your handle! Long time no talk! :)

Sounds like you are on your way. Having that in writing from the insurance company is great.

As long as the inspector is happy now, you are good to go. I suspect he'll agree with Kenny here:

I don't believe it was connecting pipe clearance that was the issue. It was stovetop clearance to the stated requirement of 58" in the manual of the PE vista.

Single wall connecting pipe clearances are not what is being discussed here though? The discussion revolves around the manufacturers(pe) stated in the manual requirement of 58"s of clearance off the top of the stove.

Correct, not a matter of pipe clearance. As far as I can tell most (all?) of the double-wall stove pipe out there is good for 6. Aside from the thimble I think I'm leaving it 14" from the ceiling... but yes that's not the point of contention.

The manual for the Regency I'm currently excited about is more deficient than I realized: Ceiling height is ONLY specified under an "alcove" installation. based on what you found from ULC S627 I emailed them for clarification, and didn't get a clear answer. Mostly amounted to "Stop bugging us and call your dealer".

At any rate I got all my paperwork into our township's building inspector. I think everything looks positive though and I'm going to buy the stove on Sunday, if it checks out. I may need to buy new chimney for it depending on how old the seller's is (I've read that there was a change from "Class A" to "650C" pipe at some point, where the older doesn't handle the heat as well, but I forget the year so I guess I'll find out)

Last edited:
Ulcs629(650c pipe)came out in '84 I believe. You definetly need 650c pipe. In older pipe all 650c is going to have 2"s of insulation. If it has 2"s of insulation and isn't 650c it will have galvanized outer. This isn't what you want. Stainless inner/outer and 2"s of insulation for older pipe to be 650c. There is 1"insulation 650c pipe but that's icc excel and will be newer. There are other 1" pipes becoming 650c but they will be practically brand new.

Good luck!