Wood Stove Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Installed a Century FW3000. The front clearance should be 48" min. Side 26" min.

What should the clearance at a 45* angle from the front of stove be? Is that the same as the side 26"? I want to place a sofa as close as possible to the stove but safely also.

Thank you.

Sofa Stove.png

This is the pic in your manual you want to follow. Keep it outside the /// stuff on the left or top for a corner install.

upload_2018-7-17_20-46-5.png

Basically, it appears as though you could run a straight line from the front of your stove to either side wall for a corner install and have that be your point of MINIMUM clearance if it's a true 45 degree install.

Never hurts to exceed!

pen

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the pic in your manual you want to follow. Keep it outside the /// stuff on the left or top for a corner install.

View attachment 227950

Basically, it appears as though you could run a straight line from the front of your stove to either side wall for a corner install and have that be your point of MINIMUM clearance if it's a true 45 degree install.

Never hurts to exceed!

pen

I "think" those dashes, lines, ///, are 8" from side of stove for Canada and N/A for US. Labeled H. But thats for "Floor Protector"? And then extending 48" in front of stove, labeled K, for combustibles in front of stove.

I appreciate the help!

upload_2018-7-17_18-30-57.png upload_2018-7-17_18-31-37.png upload_2018-7-17_18-33-13.png Sofa Stove.png

I too read somewhere that furniture and stuff like that should be at least 4 feet from the front of a stove.

I just emailed Century/SBI to see what they say.

SBI/Century said anything in front of stove to be 48 inches from stove. The starting point of "in front of stove" starts at the side of door opening, front panel of stove.

Clearance.png Clearance 2.png