Woodstove question

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pyrolysis takes time to lower the ignition temperature of the wood. This is pyrolysis. It took over 40 yrs. to finally ignite the wood. The fire might have killed someone, but she smelled smoke and immediately called the fire dept. Fortunately, they showed up quickly.
[Hearth.com] Woodstove question

Here's another example that showed up once the inadequate hearth pad was removed.
[Hearth.com] Woodstove question
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pitchpine
I can see that most of that is pretty much common sense approach making sure everything is in proper order. I think the 6” insulated liner with a damper is the only way to go. I may go overkill and add some additional heat shield for good measure and peace of mind.
Peace of mind ( and a happy insurance company) are priceless.
 
  • Like
Reactions: stoveliker
I meant insulation value not size. It doesn't seem like you meet the required r value at all

Insulation where? On the hearth? Hearth is solid stone on a 3/4” concrete board with mortar I’d say 3” thick overall and it’s elevated off the floor 6”. That Jøtul also has a heat shield on the bottom if I’m not mistaken. My hearth would be the last of my worries. When I had that stove in a cabin no noticeable heat below the stove. I kept metal ash pan and poker there. Maybe I just don’t understand what you are referring to here.
 
Last edited:
Insulation where? On the hearth? Hearth is solid stone on a 3/4” concrete board with mortar I’d say 3” thick overall and it’s elevated off the floor 6”. That Jøtul also has a heat shield on the bottom if I’m not mistaken. My hearth would be the last of my worries. When I had that stove in a cabin no noticeable heat below the stove. I kept metal ash pan and poker there. Maybe I just don’t understand what you are referring to here.
Ok if its 3/4 cement board you might have enough depending upon what type of cement board it is. The mortar and stone offer almost no insulation. Your stove according to the manual requires r.47