Wood stove cold steel Heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HJD

Jan 25, 2020
Philadelphia
Hi, I’m installing a small salamander SE wood stove in a wood clad room. As the room is so small I’m fabricating a cold rolled Steel heat shield.

I have two questions-

1- From my research the best thing to do is to have a 1 inch gap between the shield and the wall. My fabricator wants to put an insulated panel behind the metal instead. Which is more effective?

2- Coating the cold steel- I would like to give it a finish that will be in keeping with the Scandinavian feel our house has. Ideally I’d like the heat shield to have a finish close to the black cast iron if the stove. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this?

Thanks!

An air gap is very effective as long as air can freely circulate behind the panel. This means it is open at top and bottom by at least an inch. Paint the shield with high temp or BBQ black if a goth look is desired.