Wood Stove Comparisons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jenmarie1184

Jun 10, 2022
Franklin, IN
Hello, we are looking to install a wood stove in our 2500 square foot, 2 story home. We want to save on propane. We had someone out and they quoted us $8000 with install. This was for a Regency F2450, at $2850 for just the stove. Do we need to spend that much on a stove? What is the difference between a Regency Stove and the US stove (US2500E-BL) I can get from Tractor Supply? The one I found for $1200 on Tractor Supply has more BTUs and hold a longer log. I'm not seeing why I need to spend that much more on a stove. Any help would be appreciated.

The costs for stoves went up dramatically over last winter. It is shocking how much. The US Stove 2500 (aka Country Hearth 2500) sold for around $600 in 2017. An Englander 32-NC sells at Home Depot for about $1300. It was $998 last December. FWIW, a stove that costs $600 less now, may cost more in the long run for maintenance. Also, don't go by marketing specs alone, some can be deceptive or irrelevant. That said, there have been some decent bargain Chinese stoves, and they will heat, but consider the other options and do the research on longevity and user satisfaction.

Note that holding a longer log by E/W loading is not the greatest feature. A stove can be loaded more fully N/S, so look at fireboxes that afford N/S loading if maximum capacity is desired. The US Stove 2500 will hold an 18" log loaded N/S.

The best buy right now will probably be for a large Drolet or Century stove or an Englander 32-NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: stovelark