Wood Stove Design Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefin039

Jan 29, 2016
Niantic, CT
I am into my second season burning wood and would like to upgrade my operation. I currently have a Jotul F3 CB in the lower level of my 1900 SF raised ranch. Most of the hot air gets trapped in the lower level and I have been using the stove to supplement my heat. I would like to use wood as my main heat source going forward. I currently do not use any fans and I have no registers cut into the floor.

I have a fire place on the first and second floor with side by side flues. I have been been considering purchasing a Jotul F400 Castine, F500 Oslo or a Woodstock Fireview. I was going to keep my Jotul F3 and have one stove upstairs and one downstairs. I would not use the F3 everyday I assume.

Here is what I have (see attached floor plans)

1. 1900 SF Ranch. 1300SF upstairs and 600- 700SF in basement
Living area is mostly upstairs. Basement consists of TV Room( spend alot of time here in the winter), laundry room and tool room. The garage is also attached to the basement under our main two bedrooms.

2. Two side by side flues with a approximate 23' run from out of stove to exit downstairs and 14' run upstairs.

3. House built in 1976 and is fairly well insulated with minimal drafts. I have increased insulation in the past year and attacked air leaks.

Here are my questions for the experts

1. Should I put my main stove upstairs or downstairs?

2. Recommendations for moving air.

3. Is there any concern having to stoves with flues exiting next to each other?

4. Which stoves would you recommend for my application?

Attachments

• resource-export-1454359773463.jpg
    resource-export-1454359773463.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 228
  • resource-export-1454360350196.jpg
    resource-export-1454360350196.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 236
A Fireview or Keystone would do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.