Wood Stove Digital Temperature Monitor/ Alarm, I made one...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
Wood Stove Digital Temperature Monitor/ Alarm

There have been several posts inquiring how to measure stove temperature/ flue temperature. There have also been a few posts inquiring about electronic digital monitor/alarms. I have had one on my stove for several years, it is made by IMS, the problem is the price, the unit costs $259 plus you also need to buy a thermocouple, add the shipping and you are talking almost $300. I searched around the web and could not find anything that could easily work for a wood stove that was reasonably priced.
So I decided to build my own. Here are some pics and a video of the first prototype. The monitor can be used with a thermocouple probe inserted in stove pipe, or a magnetic surface mount type thermocouple placed directly on the stove. A thermocouple probe responds much faster than a stick on thermometer and is much more accurate. The monitor can be set to sound an alarm if the temperature exceeds the high limit (the limits are adjustable to whatever temperatures you wish) to indicate an over-firing condition. There is also a low temperature alarm; this can be used to indicate when it is time to add more wood to the stove. If you want to get really fancy the monitor has switched outputs that could be connected to a personal pager or an auto phone dialer. Imagine that, your stove could call you when it needs you.
I have found an accurate monitor very useful, you can see right away what the fire is doing. The high temp alarm is also a great safety feature. One day I had loaded the stove up, must have been some pretty dry wood, a little while later I heard the alarm sound, (I had it set to 800*) In the minute or two it took me to go downstairs to the basement the flue temperature had gone up to about 1200*, I quickly closed the air intake and the temperature went right down, and all was well.
I am considering building a few and selling them if there is sufficient interest.
I don’t have the exact total cost yet but I expect I can sell them for somewhere between $125 and $150. I would consider letting some of the forum mods try one and give it a review. Take a look at the pics and video and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Moniter-Alarm.jpg
    Moniter-Alarm.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,464
  • Picture 115.jpg
    Picture 115.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,351
Very nice setup. I was going to make one of those last year but the only thing I couldn't find was a reasonably priced magnetic thermocouple mount.

Very nice set up!I was just recently thinking of getting something like that to measure my stoves flue.Since i have an insert and need to get behind the surround,somthing like what you have would work fine.Is the probe cable long enough to get from the stove flue to the outside of the surround?

The magnetic mount thermocouples I have looked at are quite expensive, $50 or more, the one I put together can be made for around $20.
The probe in the pic is 48" but they are available in 72" and 120" so that should be plenty long to reach behind your insert.

Looks interesting, I have a few ideas for usability.

Would it possible to have different alarms for low and high either with different pitches or the low being less frequent beeps. Along a similar line could the display could show Lo or Hi rather than AL1 or AL2.

For someone who has the fire in the basement a remote alarm which could be wired up to the bedrooms on the second floor would be a useful option.

Kevin.

I would be possible to have different sounding alarms for high and low temp but it would require adding a additional components. The would have to be hooked up to the alarm output switches.
It is not possible to change the display, thats determined by the internal software. I think is should pretty obvious weather it's a high or low alarm as the display will switch back form the alarm to the actual temperature reading. Adding a remote alarm is certainly possible.

Nice job wes999. There have been pretty regular inquiries for something like this during the burning season. How is the probe held in place? I'm wondering if you could use a round doughnut magnet with it tapped in the center.

It's a good start. Now set it up to adjust the air with a servo of some sort, and build a robot that can fetch wood and reload the stove. We'll talk about automated splitting and stacking on the next episode. :lol: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.