Q&A Wood Stove does not respond-logs won't catch !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello! We recently installed an insert and love the way it looks! We are just doing a couple of "break in" fires- but I think there is a problem. No matter how we set the air control valve- there is really no difference in the fire. The flame neither gets more or less intense. I spoke to the store (The Source- in Hamilton- Ontario) and they suggested we wait about a week and continue with the gradually increasing fire size. But I also have noticed we have trouble getting reasonable sized- well seasoned logs to "catch." Am I correct in assuming we have too much draft? Our old fireplace had an incredible draft- and I imagine that effect has only been exacerbated by the small diameter steel lined chimney. Or maybe the air control valve isn't working? Is that something the installed needs to adjust? I like the stove but am not really all that happy with these goings on. If it is the draft- is there anything that can be done?

Answer:

It is more likely that you have a lack of draft than too much draft. A fire will not respond well- nor will logs be easy to catch if the chimney does not draw well. The chimney liner only helps- not hurts. Too little draft can be corrected by adding to the chimney height. Check the articles at https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html
<p>
A new product called Extend-A-Flue makes it simple to install a decorative insulated extension to your chimney. See the link below

Link: Extend-A-Flue Chimney Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.