Wood stove doesn't work like it used to: Replaced clay flue tile with stainless 6" steel liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am looking at a 6" Dura Plus Chimney cap 6DP-VC which only has mesh. I do think that my draft has been restricted by the band on the new cap not increased. Has anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you
I doubt you have to little draft. By bet is on to much draft

I am looking at a 6" Dura Plus Chimney cap 6DP-VC which only has mesh. I do think that my draft has been restricted by the band on the new cap not increased. Has anyone have any recommendations?
Thank you
That is a cap for a prefab chimney you need a cap for rigid stainless liner

Too much draft? I originally had a 6x6 clay flue tile and now I have a 6" round pipe. Does that equate to more draft?

Draft is dependent on the impedance ("resistance" of sorts) of a flue. Resistance increases with increased turbulence. A square channel will result in more turbulence. Sudden changes in direction or diameter too. Rough (mortar dripping out) walls of the flue too.

A 6" liner will in almost all cases increase the draft. Even more so if there is insulation around it.

Moreover, a larger flue channel cross section does not necessarily result in a higher draft (expanding from 6" dia stove pipe into a larger 6*6 flue will cool down gases, will slow gases' flow rate which will make them cool down more before they exit the chimney - and cooler gases mean a lower draft).

I doubt you have to little draft. By bet is on to much draft
That is why a simple draft test/ measurement would confirm the higher draft if that be the case and from there a clearer path to resolve the problem. Personally if that was my problem I would certainly have one and then get on to resolving the problem. with no maybe's, perhaps or it could be, nothing like certainty.

That is why a simple draft test/ measurement would confirm the higher draft if that be the case and from there a clearer path to resolve the problem. Personally if that was my problem I would certainly have one and then get on to resolving the problem. with no maybe's, perhaps or it could be, nothing like certainty.
Well yes obviously a measurement would be best. But I am not there to measure it

can you explain?
Thank you
What was done at the bottom of the liner? Your symptoms really sound like excessive draft now that wet wood is ruled out but I am just trying to cover all variables

That wood does really look dry! Still worth a check. Worth checking the entire vent from collar to termination. Who knows. Is the connector pipe running up hill a bit in any horizontal piece? Not sure what your configuration is? Pics may help with suggestions here. Did the connector pipe get changed out? Spitballing;)
I had a Century stove that really needed a key damper to retain heat in the stove instead of dispensing of it (quickly!) up the pipe. I wonder if this might be something to try? It's cheap and simple to install. Your new liner may be pulling harder and smoking through your load a bit quick. Slowing the burn rate and keeping some heat in the stove may be worth a try. Or do you have a damper already?
I have a damper in the pipe already.

some folks here needed (use) a second one. But that's unlikely for a 17' stack imo.

Still, getting less heat and in shorter burn cycles (i.e. the wood DOES get burned = converted in heat, but you are not getting roasted out of the room by having all that heat released in a shorter time), means the heat goes up the flue.

Hence the "too much draft" concern which is consistent with lining a chimney as I explained above.
(though I don't have enough experience with caps to judge what that could do - and maybe taking the cap off and trying is indeed an easier next trial).

What was done at the bottom of the liner? Your symptoms really sound like excessive draft now that wet wood is ruled out but I am just trying to cover all variables
What should have been done?
I remember the pipe through the wall connected to the liner.
The bottom of the liner has to be open to allow the creosote to fall through.
Anything else?

I will look into a wett inspection?

20220110_191942.jpg

This one is 17' - hence my question.

What should have been done?
I remember the pipe through the wall connected to the liner.
The bottom of the liner has to be open to allow the creosote to fall through.
Anything else?

I will look into a wett inspection?

View attachment 289531
No the bottom should absolutely not be open. The liner either needs to extend down to the clean out and then be sealed in with mortar and a sealed clean out door. Or a tee cap on the bottom of the tee.

What does a wett inspection consist of?
Should I be asking for anything in particular?
Basically a certified chimney and or wood stove installation professional.

WETT is a non profit training organization that provides training to those who offer wood-energy products and installation and maintenance services to the public and to those who conduct inspections of wood-burning systems,