wood stove effect on radon level

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bic1

Oct 1, 2007
I recently did a radon test and came up with a 6.0. I had a radon system installed and now at 1.9. I ended up buying an electronic radon tester to keep an eye on the level.

Long story...when I moved in the house had a wood stove in the basement, but the owner took it. Shortly thereafter hurricane Floyd visited giving us an inch or so of water in the basement. I had french drains with waffle board along the inside basement foundation installed. I came across my home inspection a while ago and decided to do a radon test (as above). The radon guys sealed with silicon a couple feet of the waffle board along the foundation as well as capping sump pits with plastic and silicon.

I am wondering what effect getting a wood stove will have on radon levels upstairs and downstairs. I was looking at a 1,000 square foot one (26,000 btu at peak). My upstairs is around 900 square feet (basement below it entirely). I do run a dehumidifier in the basement as well. There is a staircase about six feet from where the wood stove is. The door to it is in the basement and not upstairs. We leave it closed during the summer, fall and spring. The temperature in the basement when unheated gets to a low of 60 degrees in January and February.

I cant see how a wood stove would have any more effect on your radon levels as any other heating system would. As long as its installed properly all you are doing is heating the air the same as a furnace or rdiator or electric.

Since a stove in the basement pulls its combustion air in from the basement ambient air and shoots it up the chimney it seems it couldn't do any thing but lower radon levels in the basement.

On second thought you may want to install an OAK ( outside air kit ) so you arnt sucking combustion air from inside. but not even sure if that needed.

I agree nshif....you wouldn't want any appliance drawing air from that basement into the living space;it could only raise the levels of radon within.

Titan said:
I agree nshif....you wouldn't want any appliance drawing air from that basement into the living space;it could only raise the levels of radon within.

The woodstove wouldn't pull air from the basement into the living space, unless basement air got circulated incedental to being warmed. The stove itself wouldn't do that, any air it takes in goes straight up the chimney and out (and at that point it's radon level would be the least of reasons not to want it in the living space!)

The stove shouldn't have any direct impact on the radon level. IF it is pulling air from the basement, then I would expect it might cause a lowering of the level by the makeup air coming in from elsewhere would dilute the basement air. If you are using an OAK, then it shouldn't have any significant influence.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Titan said:
The stove shouldn't have any direct impact on the radon level. IF it is pulling air from the basement, then I would expect it might cause a lowering of the level by the makeup air coming in from elsewhere would dilute the basement air. If you are using an OAK, then it shouldn't have any significant influence.

Gooserider

I would disagree. The stove pulling air from the basement could cause radon gas to be sucked up from beneath the house into the basement. NOT what one wants. Radon abatement systems typically have a pipe installed with end in gravel beneath the slab, and a fan to suck up the radon gas into airtight PVC pipe and expel it outside above the uppermost living level of the home.

BTB

BTB said:
Gooserider said:
Titan said:

Gooserider

I would disagree. The stove pulling air from the basement could cause radon gas to be sucked up from beneath the house into the basement. NOT what one wants. Radon abatement systems typically have a pipe installed with end in gravel beneath the slab, and a fan to suck up the radon gas into airtight PVC pipe and expel it outside above the uppermost living level of the home.

BTB

I thought about that, but you shouldn't get that much gas being sucked in as makeup air - a foundation is going to offer a lot more resistance to gas inflow than the other air leakage sources. If you are pulling enough vacuum to measurably effect the radon infiltration rate your house would be so tight that you couldn't run the stove without an OAK, which would again make it a moot point...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.