Wood stove in a shed/workshop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here is a pic of the chimney. I would like to insulate, I'm just not sure it'll be possible. On the plus side, 1. this stove will not be run that often, and 2. I'm going to improve the chimney relative to what the prior stove was running on. If I can figure out how to insulate it though, I will. Just not sure how it's possible with the dimensions of the clay tiles (11" X 6.5").
Is that the ID of the tiles? If so, look at the Duraliner system. One option is preinsulated in oval.
I'll definitely be careful with the stove temps.
Not an issue with this stove. It is a steel stove at heart.

It does seem too nice to put in a shed, unless the shed is a cozy man cave too. It's a beauty. However, the Yosemite is a steel stove inside with a cast iron jacket. It's fine to heat it up normally.

Ah gotcha. I didn't think about how the jacketed design would preserve the finish, but I guess that makes sense.

Don't worry, the "shed" is getting a makeover. It's going to get insulated and paneled on the inside. Will be much more of a cabin feel.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a stove this nice, but I did want a noncat of around this size. Mostly I was finding Jotuls from the mid 1980's, and people wanted more than $500 for them. This seemed like a steal, so I jumped on it. Also looked long and hard at the VC Aspen C3, but in the end, couldn't justify the cost of a new stove for the shed.

You got a good deal. The Yosemite is a nice stove and that one is in great shape.

Here is the DuraLiner oval pipe. It will fit and is a complete system.

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 10.47.35 AM.png

Last edited:
You got a good deal. The Yosemite is a nice stove and that one is in great shape.

Here is the DuraLiner oval pipe. It will fit and is a complete system.

View attachment 277496

Oh wow, thanks! I was just on their website because of your earlier message. Looks like exactly what I need!

The part that is still fuzzy in my head is the thimble connection. Am I just going to have to remove the existing block of concrete? Do I just attack that with a hammer drill or something? And then I would have something like the below piece attached to my oval pipe?

And then I shove a single wall 6" round piece of pipe into this piece while it's dangling in the chimney?

Tee1.png

First, double-check the chimney ID. The 6" oval is designed to fit inside of an 8x13" (OD) clay tile liner. The tee will be snug, but should clear unless there is a lot of mortar ooze at the tile joints.
The wall pass-through has specific insulation requirements. The current setup does not look proper, so single wall can't be used. It will need an insulated wall pass-through for the current setup.

Are you thinking of raising the thimble from the current location?

Last edited:
Being on a slab and not heated that shed traps a lot of moisture. That's why they don't insulate them. They dry out better. Unless your using it lot I would clean it up, maybe paint the inside, and make it you man cave.

Have you thought of just tearing down that masonry chimney and slapping a class A pipe system up instead? You could even go vertical through the roof. Could save money, perform better, and not have to figure out how to sweep an oval pipe with a round brush!

Reactions: Tylervt