Wood stove in barrel sauna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flapjacks

Jul 21, 2022
Minnesota
I am installing a wood burning stove into a barrel sauna. Using double wall duravent/dvl stove pipe. Havent yet bought a chimney pipe. I'm a bit perplexed on what hardware is needed between the stove pipe and chimney pipe. I have a chimney adapter (link below) but now I'm seeing chimney support boxes and can't figure out if I'd need that instead. My plan (perhaps foolish) is to connect my double wall dvl to a triple wall chimney pipe. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance

M&G DuraVent 6DVL-ADT Duravent DVL Chimney Adapter, Black https://a.co/d/a67XIAO

I'm having trouble envisioning the setup. What is the roof like on a barrel sauna? curved or flat? What is the stove that will be used and what is the flue collar size?

I'm having trouble envisioning the setup. What is the roof like on a barrel sauna? curved or flat? What is the stove that will be used and what is the flue collar size?
Slightly curved cedar. Was going to try and use flat ceiling support for chimney. I've got stove pipe 6 inch. For flue in chimney can I do 6 inch or do I need to go from 6 inch stove pipe to 8 inch chimney pipe?

What stove is this for?

Are the side ends of the barrel flat? If so, that may be a better option, especially if this is uncovered outdoors.

What stove is this for?

Are the side ends of the barrel flat? If so, that may be a better option, especially if this is uncovered outdoors.
Small wood burning stove made for a sauna by Morrison Stove Company. Yea the sides are flat. Maybe I shoukd just go out the back where it is flat. I'd seen pictures of people going straight out the top but also out the back. I was hoping to do the simplest thing and in my pea brain, I figured straight up and out

I don't know the stove but in order to help we need more specific information on the stove flue collar diameter. draft requirements, and clearance requirements. I get nervous with wood stoves in close quarters, especially when there are combustible surfaces nearby. Also, the barrel sauna design will matter. Some have a flat boxed section at the ceiling to accommodate a ceiling support box. Then outside they use a formable flashing with a silicone boot. Knowing the specific barrel sauna make/model and stove make/model makes guidance much easier.

Is it this stove?
And any of these sauna models?

Slightly curved cedar. Was going to try and use flat ceiling support for chimney. I've got stove pipe 6 inch. For flue in chimney can I do 6 inch or do I need to go from 6 inch stove pipe to 8 inch chimney pipe?
No why would you do that? Just use 6"chimney. Can you meet clearance requirements for the stove?

I don't know the stove but in order to help we need more specific information on the stove flue collar diameter. draft requirements, and clearance requirements. I get nervous with wood stoves in close quarters, especially when there are combustible surfaces nearby. Also, the barrel sauna design will matter. Some have a flat boxed section at the ceiling to accommodate a ceiling support box. Then outside they use a formable flashing with a silicone boot. Knowing the specific barrel sauna make/model and stove make/model makes guidance much easier.

Is it this stove?
[QUOTE="begreen, post: 2597597, me...g/1230214363/wood-burning-sauna-stove[/QUOTE]
Yes that's the stove. It fits a 6 inch stove pipe like a glove. I'm not positive about flue collar size, I googled hay and simply don't understand what I should measure. Installed a heat shield 1 inch off the wall. Was thinking 4 inch clearance or maybe a few more inches from wall with stove. Not ideal but a lot of the barrel saunas that are sold have outside feeding stoves that are literally touching the walls, in the wall.

Barrel sauna from sauna guys in Michigan. Their makes and models are just unique based on size. This 1 is 8' by 7'. Roof is not perfectly flat but not especially curved either at the top

Just because someone does something, doesn't always make it safe. The stove shown needs 36" clearance from unshielded combustibles (wood). This can be reduced to 12" with a proper ventilated wall shield on 1" spacers that is 1" off the floor and open top and bottom so that air can freely convect behind it.

Which barrel sauna model?

Just because someone does something, doesn't always make it safe. The stove shown needs 36" clearance from unshielded combustibles (wood). This can be reduced to 12" with a proper ventilated wall shield on 1" spacers that is 1" off the floor and open top and bottom so that air can freely convect behind it.

Which barrel sauna model?

There isn't a model # per se but it's 7' x 8'. 6 person capacity

They would be good ones to talk to about the chimney fitting, though I see they only allow 1" clearance from the wood. Ask what chimney pipe they are using.

Also, note that they do not place the wood stove on the wood floor. What will be used in this sauna as a hearth for thermal protection under the stove?

They would be good ones to talk to about the chimney fitting, though I see they only allow 1" clearance from the wood. Ask what chimney pipe they are using.

Also, note that they do not place the wood stove on the wood floor. What will be used in this sauna as a hearth for thermal protection under the stove?
Thanks yes, good point. I'll ask them some more questions. Going to use cement board on floor under stove. Thank you, appreciate your help

Unfortunately, this is an unregulated area for the most part so you will need to do your own diligence. I prefer a sauna stove that has an outer jacket surrounding the stove body in addition to the wall shielding. Better yet if the manufacturer's product is UL tested and has tested install instructions that include clearance to combustibles and floor protection.

Unfortunately, this is an unregulated area for the most part so you will need to do your own diligence. I prefer a sauna stove that has an outer jacket surrounding the stove body in addition to the wall shielding. Better yet if the manufacturer's product is UL tested and has tested install instructions that include clearance to combustibles and floor protection.
Thank you

Agreed entirely - A lot of wood fired sauna stoves don't have a protective jacket, especially the cheaper brands. I stuck with the Harvia M3 for this purpose as you can pick them up for about $750 and then use a non-branded chimney to connect it.

The sheath is pretty expensive though so just be aware!