Wood Stove Insert for 800 sqft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dsparil

May 31, 2021
Poconos, PA
Was going to do a standalone stove, but I do have a propane fireplace that was originally wood burning.

I originally had my eye on an englander 17-vl for standalone. Is there a wood insert equivalent to this in terms of price and efficiency? It'd be a huge plus of it didnt need any electricity to function.

I know blowers help heat, but I'm speaking in terms of long-term power outage.

Thanks

With a built-in blower and surrounding shroud, inserts cost more. The least expensive is probably the small Century 1500i or the Drolet 1500i kit via Costco.

Reactions: EbS-P
yeah but I'd be nixing the hearthpad so I guess it'd even out. My original plan was to put the englander 17-vl next to the fireplace where it'd be easy to clean myself and simply turn the fireplace into a wood/log burning fireplace. Not a fan of having to pay for propane but plenty of hardwood around here.

I think the inserts are called zero clearance fireplaces.

If I wanted to heat without electricity for an extended period of time I wouldn't choose an insert or a zero clearance fireplace.

yeah but I'd be nixing the hearthpad so I guess it'd even out. My original plan was to put the englander 17-vl next to the fireplace where it'd be easy to clean myself and simply turn the fireplace into a wood/log burning fireplace. Not a fan of having to pay for propane but plenty of hardwood around here.

I think the inserts are called zero clearance fireplaces.
Inserts are stoves that go inside a fireplace. Zero clearance fireplaces are units that are built in. If you currently have a zero clearance fireplace chances are you cannot put an insert in it anyway.

Post a picture or two. If it is a ZC fireplace, look for the make and model in the door frame and post that here too.

Can't find a label. Here.

20210615_223623.jpg 20210615_223631.jpg 20210615_223639.jpg

Yes, and that would rule out a freestanding stove tapped into the chimney too.

Revisiting this, what does zero clearance mean?
A "zero clearance fireplace" is a prefabricated unit that goes in a framed opening. Then a prefabricated (usually air cooled chimney) specified for the unit goes ontop of it and out the top of the framed structure.

A lot of the current EPA ZC fireplaces seem to be moving away from an air-cooled chimney and moving toward an HT2100 class A chimney pipe.

A lot of the current EPA ZC fireplaces seem to be moving away from an air-cooled chimney and moving toward an HT2100 class A chimney pipe.
It's driving me crazy that your moderator title is spelled "Mooderator" lol. All I can think of is cows. 🐄.

I suppose you could also be keeping the right mood on the forums? 😀