Wood stove insert for old heatilator with metal chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Melilator

Sep 30, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi, newish homeowner here!

We bought our house last year. It was built in 1961. There is a fireplace with a heatilator inside, and the chimney is metal. This is the label on the pipe (don't worry we are replacing the duct tape lol)

Here is the fireplace:
IMG_20191225_235130.jpgPXL_20200930_211134186.jpg

We really want to get a wood stove insert! Had a visit from a guy today who sells Pacific and Regency stoves, and he pretty much told us it wasn't possible with what we have, short of ripping it all out. I'm hoping maybe one of you could tell me different! If not, that's ok, just wanted some other opinions!

The measurements of the firebox are
23.5in wide that tapers to 16.5 in at the back
14.5 in deep
16 in tall

Thank you so much!! Let me know if you need more info or photos.

-melissa

That's what I feared.
Do you think it makes more sense to remove the heatilator and put an insert a new fireplace in, or to put a free standing stove in another part of the house?
Either will work, replacing it with a modern EPA Zero Clearance fireplace designed for heating or a freestanding stove. It depends on what works best for the house, your lifestyle and budget.

That's what I feared.
Do you think it makes more sense to remove the heatilator and put an insert in, or to put a free standing stove in another part of the house?
Not an insert. You would need to replace with a new high efficiency fireplace and chimney