wood stove insert hearth and floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jgillem

Oct 25, 2021
bluff city tn
Confused newbie wants wood stove insert for 1900' log home that has fireplace with no hearth extension. Floor of firebox does not extend out to reach stone exterior. Firebox floor meets laminate floor covered with two layers of Imperial stove board that are R1.5 each. Opening is 34.5 high so can raise 23"high insert 5-6" if need. Don't want to cut up floor and work in crawl space to support heavy hearth. Read but dont understand manuals and threads. Not sure if cutting a nice hearth pad is possible. Waiting for chimney guy to asses and install but want to make plan prior. Will never use as regular fireplace. Manuals say floor protection but not clear if ember or heat or both, and bc front of insert sticks out of existing firebox does that change things? Flush ones look better but afraid wont get enough heat and may still need to be pulled forward enough to be even with rocks on exterior of fireplace, so still will be outside of firebox. Also want to eliminate faceplate surround bc will stick out quite far bc of rocks, wont look good, and want access to top to cook or boil water in outage. Freestander not option bc clearances to combustibles in room like rug and wood legs of mantle, and dont have the space. Think chimney is only 12' so insert choices limited. So, can insert's front sit on R3 stove board over combustibles? if raise insert would it be ok? THANKS SO MUCH for any input!!!

IMG_20211011_175926317.jpg IMG_20211011_175936115.jpg IMG_20211011_180007567.jpg IMG_20211011_180048309.jpg

Confused newbie wants wood stove insert for 1900' log home that has fireplace with no hearth extension. Floor of firebox does not extend out to reach stone exterior. Firebox floor meets laminate floor covered with two layers of Imperial stove board that are R1.5 each. Opening is 34.5 high so can raise 23"high insert 5-6" if need. Don't want to cut up floor and work in crawl space to support heavy hearth. Read but dont understand manuals and threads. Not sure if cutting a nice hearth pad is possible. Waiting for chimney guy to asses and install but want to make plan prior. Will never use as regular fireplace. Manuals say floor protection but not clear if ember or heat or both, and bc front of insert sticks out of existing firebox does that change things? Flush ones look better but afraid wont get enough heat and may still need to be pulled forward enough to be even with rocks on exterior of fireplace, so still will be outside of firebox. Also want to eliminate faceplate surround bc will stick out quite far bc of rocks, wont look good, and want access to top to cook or boil water in outage. Freestander not option bc clearances to combustibles in room like rug and wood legs of mantle, and dont have the space. Think chimney is only 12' so insert choices limited. So, can insert's front sit on R3 stove board over combustibles? if raise insert would it be ok? THANKS SO MUCH for any input!!!

View attachment 284015 View attachment 284016 View attachment 284017 View attachment 284018
That really depends upon the insert. Some require a hearth that is compliant for an open fireplace which means no combustibles in contact under the hearth extension. Others just require a set r value

With a 34.5" high opening there are some freestanding stoves that would work and meet the side clearances. A mantel shield for the top shelf might be required. However, the 12' tall chimney constrains selection. There are some inserts that come to mind, but they have a flared front that will extend over the stone face somewhat.

What is the width of the fireplace front and back. What is the depth, top and bottom?

These things always look complicated to me for I am far from an expert at this thing but encouraging you anyway...I say wait for the installer to assess the situation because it will most likely change the whole scene as well as the type of wood burner you get...I do not like how that pipe goes straight out and then to me it would have a heck of a bend--complicated for me but wanted to encourage you and say "something can be done to make it right" --wait for your installer to instill just "great ideas" and "know how" and "what to do"--lol lol...I am just learning myself and got my stove just in case I might need it in the future..All this will become clear...enjoy your thoughts about your new area of interest.. There are pretty selection of brick workings too out there. Just more thoughts... lol enjoy...clancey

Based on what is shown, the Osburn 3500-i looks like the best fit. It wouldn't hurt to add a 2' section of rigid liner on top of the liner as suggested in the manual.

With a 34.5" high opening there are some freestanding stoves that would work and meet the side clearances. A mantel shield for the top shelf might be required. However, the 12' tall chimney constrains selection. There are some inserts that come to mind, but they have a flared front that will extend over the stone face somewhat.

What is the width of the fireplace front and back. What is the depth, top and bottom?
Firebox is 33" wide at front and back. Its 24 deep at bottom and 22 deep at top. It is rectangle/ square except for the back wall which slants forward near top. Because of the rocks sticking out there is really only about 30" of width to slide the insert in.
The exterior is 63" wide between the mantle side support legs. The mantle top is 57" high from the stove board.
Do you know of an insert that would be ok with the stove pad over floor or a way to solve that issue easily? Thanks!

Look at the Osburn 3500i for starters. It needs R=2.0 hearth protection and will work on a shorter chimney, though an extension is recommended.

Firebox is 33" wide at front and back. Its 24 deep at bottom and 22 deep at top. It is rectangle/ square except for the back wall which slants forward near top. Because of the rocks sticking out there is really only about 30" of width to slide the insert in.
The exterior is 63" wide between the mantle side support legs. The mantle top is 57" high from the stove board.
Do you know of an insert that would be ok with the stove pad over floor or a way to solve that issue easily? Thanks!
I would not trust just a cheap stove pad like that long term

Reactions: Burnlife308
I would not trust just a cheap stove pad like that long term
Yes, the gaps bother me too. Better to do it right and make or buy something proper.

Look at the Osburn 3500i for starters. It needs R=2.0 hearth protection and will work on a shorter chimney, though an extension is recommended.
Thanks, love the specs but needs 19" to combustible so too close to side mantle legs. Local chimney guy likes Ventis hei 240 but i cant figure the floor protection out so will call them tomorrow. Is raising chimney 3' a costly option? need to call SBI to ask bout century cw2900 (only $1400) floor protection too. Not sure if u get what u pay for with stoves? or if ok to be cheap? If I can just use the existing stove board over floor I can spend a bit more on stove if need be...

With the insert sitting inside of the fireplace, you will not need a full depth hearth pad or extension. Something 24" deep would work. For the 3500i anything that is well constructed and meets or exceeds the R=2.0 requirement will work as long as it is deep enough. The cost is not so much the issue as the construction, but the price should under $500. Look for Type 2 hearth extension pads. Hearth Classics makes a 36" x 24" octagonal type 2 pad that would work.

Another alternative is to make a hearth pad that meets the requirement. This could be done for $150 or less.