Wood Stove Insert - Light Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quielo

Mar 18, 2019
Northern Cal
We have a new country place with a fireplace. I am looking to add a wood burring insert as I have vast amounts of firewood and like to burn it. I would like to do some light cooking or at the very least boil water on the insert. I see some inserts less "inserted" than others and some seem to have a better flat surface. Any suggestions? Attached is a photo.

IMG_3867.JPG

Get one that fits the firebox and extends as far as possible with a non-convective top. There will need to be some ember protection in front of the hearth in this location. This could be a challenge to find. The Ironstrike Striker 160 insert might work.

Last edited:
We have a new country place with a fireplace. I am looking to add a wood burring insert as I have vast amounts of firewood and like to burn it. I would like to do some light cooking or at the very least boil water on the insert. I see some inserts less "inserted" than others and some seem to have a better flat surface. Any suggestions? Attached is a photo.

View attachment 300911
First thing to figure out is what make and model fireplace do you have?

Reactions: EbS-P
Looks like it could be a zero clearance fireplace and most do not allow inserts to be installed. I would focus on cooking within the firebox. Or replace the zero cleaner with something like this

And there are several threads about cooking on/in an insert.

First thing to figure out is what make and model fireplace do you have?
Do fireplaces have makes/models? I presumed this was just something thrown together by the contractor. The fireplace is on the first floor though above a garage with no supports below. It must just be brick facing over some kind of box

Do fireplaces have makes/models? I presumed this was just something thrown together by the contractor. The fireplace is on the first floor though above a garage with no supports below. It must just be brick facing over some kind of box
Yes it looks like a prefab fireplace faced in brick

Thanks, can I use a regular woodstove with no legs sitting on the

Which makes me nervous about having a real fire in there. It seems an insert would be safer
No it's designed to have a fire in it. Most are not designed to have inserts in them

Look carefully around the door frame for a metal tag identifying the make and model.

Looks like it could be a zero clearance fireplace and most do not allow inserts to be installed. I would focus on cooking within the firebox. Or replace the zero cleaner with something like this

And there are several threads about cooking on/in an insert.
Something like this seems like it would generate more heat and provide a small cook area.

H2100-A-1920x680.jpg