Wood stove insert name!? (Blower noise)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pineknot89

Jan 16, 2018
Pine Knot, Ky.
Hey guys! Greetings from south eastern Ky! I'm brand new to the forum and fairly new to wood stoves. I just bought a 3000sqft split level home and it came with a wood stove insert in a brick fireplace upstairs. I bought a second wood stove and put it downstairs. (Trying to cut costs on heating a home this size). They both work great except for the blower in the upstairs insert is very noisy! It puts off alot of heat but for about 20 minutes after I turn it on it makes a growling noise that you can hear throughout the house. After that it quietens down to a dull blowing sound with some annoying rattling noises.

I was hoping someone would know what type of stove this is and how to fix it. Will I have to remove the stove to get to the blower? If not it must be very narrow by the looks of the removable panels on the side. I tried peeking into the little mesh panels on the side but I don't see anything. I don't know how old the stove is but the house was built in 1987. Any help would be appreciated very much! Thank you all for reading! Have a warm cozy winter and God bless!

15161261331711505925389.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Buck 2700? There are some folks here that have that stove. Sounds like the blowers need a good cleaning and lubrication asap. Search on Buck 2700 in this forum to see if there are tips on blower servicing. You'll need to pull the insert. @rox3406 recently posted on this model.

It might be worth pulling it out anyhow to see how it was installed. If it has no connection to the chimney flue then it is a slammer installation which is no longer allowed.

It’s definitely an old buck. You can tell by the size of the door opening.
18 inches = 26000
20 inches = 27000
24 inches = 28000
Also check out this thread for all the info you can ever need
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/old-buck-stove-information-one-stop-resource.125611/
Also this place has all the parts and the manual online for free. Nice people to deal with.
https://servicesales.com/product-ca.../older-model-26000-27000-28000-carolina-1-11/
Be shore to have it inspected by a certified sweep. Make sure she isn’t a slammer install. Mine is up to snuff with a liner. She is a hungry inefficient beast but man she makes some serious heat.
I love mine but I have an emotional attachment to her. A newer stove will definitely serve you better way less wood. But if you decide to keep her as long as the install is up to snuff have at it.

Reactions: bholler
Thank you so much for all the useful info! I will look into it all and see what I can do to fix it. I will probably keep it as long as possible. I have noticed that it eats wood like crazy but puts off alot of heat. Thanks again for all the help. I will post back with my findings by the end of the week. You are a gentleman sir!

I’m by no means a pro but if you are burning in that and it’s a slammer it’s realy dangerous. Easy way to tell with out pulling it. With a cold stove of course open the top damper all the way take a flashlight and look up. If that rectangle doesn’t go to round in about 12 she is a slammer. I’m sure the pros will chime in with the major issues of running a slammer soon. You can do what you want but I suggest you heed their advice. I did and sleep much better now. Just sayin. Enjoy her. Once you get the hang of running a smoke dragon it uses less wood. Once you put a liner on one it’s like running a jet engine.

Reactions: bholler
Hey guys I'd like to thank everyone for their help! I apologize for the delayed post. I pulled the stove and it definitely was a slammer. And holy crap it was heavy! I finally found a company in Maryville TN that would do a liner installation for a reasonable price. I had them install a liner, a new motor, and convert the old thermostat to a rheostat thingy ma jig. It doesn't blow as hard now but still heats wonderfully and is actually quieter than my central heat unit! You guys have been a godsend and I appreciate the useful information and advice. I look forward to alot more learning on this forum! Thanks again and God bless! Stay cozy my friends!