Wood stove inserts lit by gas igniter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

builderbob

Jun 14, 2007
Oregon
Neighbor building a new house just said she was going to have a woodstove (and she called it an insert) that would be lit by a gas igniter.

Anyone familiar with brands/models of such? It is going to be installed with an outside chase, stainless chimney,and I guess a rock or brick facing on front.

I had not seen anything where wood stoves could be used with gas igniters, so was somewhat surprised. It is coming from a local, longstanding, reputable shop, so I take it she was "correctly" describing what she is indeed getting.

Anyone clue me in on latest products-----is there a woodburning stove/insert that is approved for lighting by gas igniter?

BTB

It's common around here for fire places to have gas ignitors in them. I have never heard of an insert that does, and I don't recall seeing any new construction with this feature in it. I don't really see what the big deal is with them. My fireplace didn't have one. I always used a propane torch with a self ignitor on it. I'm guessing that's what I will use with the insert as well. However, a lot of people have probably never built a fire until they buy a house with a fire place. I was in the Boy Scouts for years and I have built numerous fires. As long as the wood is dry they are easy to build. I have built plenty with wet wood too, and its a little more complicated but still easily done. And in the Scouts, I didn't have the torch to do it with.

I guess what intrigued me about the "wood" stove with a "gas" igniter, was the idea of a gas pipe being there in the wood stove chamber when the wood fire is burning who knows how hot and for how long.

I would have mental pictures of the gas igniter mechanism being melted, and then "set-off" the steady stream of gas into an inferno in the stove.

But maybe they have tested and approved such setups nowdays. I just hadn't heard of anything like that.

Any brands/models anyone can point me to?

BTB

The gas valve is generally several feet away from the fire place, so when it's turned off there is no gas near the fire place. The only thing in there is black iron pipe and its under the fire brick except for the several inches sticking up.

I have never seen a stove or an EPA fireplaces that can use a "log lighter" but just any open faced fireplace can use them and people put them in all the time.

BTB said:
Neighbor building a new house just said she was going to have a woodstove (and she called it an insert) that would be lit by a gas igniter.

Anyone familiar with brands/models of such? It is going to be installed with an outside chase, stainless chimney,and I guess a rock or brick facing on front.

I had not seen anything where wood stoves could be used with gas igniters, so was somewhat surprised. It is coming from a local, longstanding, reputable shop, so I take it she was "correctly" describing what she is indeed getting.

Anyone clue me in on latest products-----is there a woodburning stove/insert that is approved for lighting by gas igniter?

BTB

Not enough to go on. It's quite likely she has her terms wrong. What brand and model?

Probably a wood burning fireplace with a log lighter.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.