Wood stove inside fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yep, "masonry" just means anything assembled by masons, eg. stone, brick, concrete, mortar.

Yes, some stoves have clearance issues, even to non-combustibles. I run Blaze King Ashford stoves, and they have a rear clearance requirement, for their thermostat to function properly. I'd be surprised if Englander has anything like that.

Let's get some experts here, to answer your questions:

@stoveguy2esw from England Stove Works
@bholler one of our resident chimney sweep / installer
@BrotherBart 30-NC owner of many years, and his installed half in/out of a fireplace, I think.
@Hogwildz just seems to know a lot about this chit
@Nick Mystic with that fat lady in a small airplane seat tight install

Thank you, thank you! :)

I am trying to get some control over the process and not just blindly trust the installer (at least give some impression of being able to understand what he is talking about). I am here because I am naturally suspicious, I guess. He claims it is all good to install it inside the fireplace but it is always better to check (I figure) since I could the one stuck with a fire and insurance not covering anything due to an improper installation... Plus, I want the darn thing to actually heat my house hahah

It is fine to install it in the fireplace. But you will not be able to service the fan and you will loose much of the radiant heat gains from a freestander because you will be pumping that radiant heat into the masonry. A block off plate and insulating the firebox is a must.

Reactions: oddodaoddo
It is fine to install it in the fireplace. But you will not be able to service the fan and you will loose much of the radiant heat gains from a freestander because you will be pumping that radiant heat into the masonry. A block off plate and insulating the firebox is a must.

Thank you so very much Sir. A few questions: I attached a few photos of the fireplace and the dimensions a few posts earlier in this thread. Do you think they will work? Also, I am guessing I should take the wooden trim off (surrounding the fireplace) at least to a safe "clearance" height and width for combustibles as per the stove?

Thank you again!

Thank you so very much Sir. A few questions: I attached a few photos of the fireplace and the dimensions a few posts earlier in this thread. Do you think they will work? Also, I am guessing I should take the wooden trim off (surrounding the fireplace) at least to a safe "clearance" height and width for combustibles as per the stove?

Thank you again!
If it fits in the fireplace that part will be fine but you will need to either sheild the trim or take it out

If it fits in the fireplace that part will be fine but you will need to either sheild the trim or take it out

Perfect, thanks! I am still on the fence about it since we have another fireplace that has a heatalator in it. There is the option of taking all that out and putting the stove in front of it and hence getting all the heat as God intended from the stove ;)