Wood Stove installer says I don't need permit for installation? (WA State)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fjordrr

Sep 26, 2008
Seattle Eastside
I'm feeling a little uncomfortable with this. The dealer's installer came out to quote the installation of the Jotul Castine I bought, and when I asked about him obtaining the installation permit he stated they don't normally do this for wood stove installations. He did say that he could take out a permit, but that it would cost more money and take more time.

Is this a good idea to not get a permit? I am in WA state, unincorporated King County.

I did call my homeowner's insurance to let them know a wood stove was being installed, but they did not ask anything about a permit.

Call your local code enforcement angeny or town hall or sometimes the fire marshal. Someone will let you know yea or nay

Well you don't need a permit around here either, in cities you need permits. Permits are a good thing because when you apply for on you get a heads up on local codes. In the absence of local code as long a a stove in put in according to the manufacturing specs I don't see a problem...or is it me?

I don't live within the city limits, but the county requires a permit for a woodstove installation. We had our Lopi installed professionally, and the dealer where we purchased the stove pulled the permit. I called for the inspection after installation. Rick

Well that link to the King County regs seemed pretty clear - a permit is required. Hmmm this is not giving me a warm fuzzy about this installer, altho he was very professional and knowledgeable otherwise...

Hi Kat, I live just south of you in unincorporated Pierce County. You need a permit. My professional installer said that only about 40% of his installations are permitted but I made it clear that I would be one of those 40%. YOU the homeowner are responsible for getting the permit. You are the one that will be accepting liability if your house burns down due to the "illegal" installation if you choose to not get the permit. You will be responsible if anybody dies in the home even after you sell it. The implications are very large and the permit is very cheap and easy to get. I considered it an unbiased check on the installer's job. Of course the installer is not going to invite scrutiny of his work but you should.

It was cheap, easy to get online, and I would highly recommend you get the permit. I actually had the installation complete and then got the permit and inspection scheduled for the next day. Passed with flying colors.

Could be that they just don't routinely do it themselves as part of the installation process. After, all it's the homeowner's responsibility, not the dealer's, to comply with this kind of permitting requirement. Pulling the permit and arranging for the inspection should be pretty easy. I got the building permit for a major remodel/renovation that's currently in progress on our home, and I found the folks at the county to be very helpful. Rick

The installer is hesitant because the permit fee is really high and not that easy to get, especially if the office is busy. Expect to lose about $250 and a whole morning going to the permit office, hanging around and coming back. Afternoon can sometimes be quieter. Well, at least Renton is closer to you. Bring the stove manual and checkbook.

BeGreen said:
The installer is hesitant because the permit fee is really high and not that easy to get, especially if the office is busy. Expect to lose about $250 and a whole morning going to the permit office, hanging around and coming back. Afternoon can sometimes be quieter. Well, at least Renton is closer to you. Bring the stove manual and checkbook.

Better than their estimated fee for house building inspections. $18,000. Half of what my first house cost, custom built. Seems their hourly rate is $140 and hour.

Printed out the permit form from King county's website, looks like the fee is $236 - I can go after 2:30pm tomorrow so hopefully it won't be so busy.

$18K for a house permit/inspection - EEEGAD!!

Yeah, I've fought them on some fees and won. I probably should go after the stove fee too. It was half this amount 3 years ago.

Wow! I paid like 40$ for the whole deal and it was done online without having to even make a phone call. Amazing the difference between two adjacent counties.

$65.00 here. Rick

Whats a permit?

My installer and dealer also both didn't think a permit was necessary, but I got one, had it inspected, and felt a lot better about it. For one, I figure if I have a problem down the road, and didn't have it permitted / inspected, how would i ever expect the insurance company to cover me? this way I have a signed approval notice I can send to the ins co to prove it was Done Right. My installer is awesome and the dealer runs one of the tightest ships in town as far as HVAC work (his primary biz) but they both said far and away most folks simply choose not to get the permit / inspection. The inspector said he's doing 1-2 inspections a day this month for stoves/inserts.

Went to town hall (New Windsor) filled out the paper work , gave them a copy of the stove manual and a check for Fifty dollar's.
After the stove was installed I called their office and they asked me when I wanted the inspection. The next day he was at the house, on time, completed the inspection in about 15 minutes then talked about wood burning for another 15 minutes.

Shock was my first reaction on how well dealing with the Government went. But that's the way Government should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.