Wood stove is direct connect - okay to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Heatilator insert has a 6" flue outlet. Get a tape measure up there and double-check the flue tile dimensions before ordering. bholler is probably correct, but it is always a good idea to measure twice before buying.

Thanks guys. Just curious, what is the minimum size I can fit a 6" liner down with insulation? And how is the bottom sealed up from the interior of the home?

Lastly, how much will all materials cost roughly? Finding all sorts of numbers online. If i can do this for under $1k I think I'll try in the spring. But if it only saves me $500-$800 then I may just have the professionals do it.

I did much of the same thing you are thinking of over the past 2 weekends. Here is my thread with photos showing the details.

I spent just under $1k for a 30' liner plus insulation kit. I had to break out the clay tile liner, using my own fabricated tools. Took me about 5 hours to complete the break out, not counting ladder set up and numerous trips up and down for tool retrieval and mishaps. Pulling the liner up from the bottom after the clay tile was removed was pretty easy, maybe 15 min with my son helping. Now up and running with a completely safe and hopefully code compliant BK insert. I did not solicit professional bids, my guess is it would have been around $3-4k including materials for the same job.

I did much of the same thing you are thinking of over the past 2 weekends. Here is my thread with photos showing the details.

I spent just under $1k for a 30' liner plus insulation kit. I had to break out the clay tile liner, using my own fabricated tools. Took me about 5 hours to complete the break out, not counting ladder set up and numerous trips up and down for tool retrieval and mishaps. Pulling the liner up from the bottom after the clay tile was removed was pretty easy, maybe 15 min with my son helping. Now up and running with a completely safe and hopefully code compliant BK insert. I did not solicit professional bids, my guess is it would have been around $3-4k including materials for the same job.
3 to 4k is high for that job. It is an easy one day job for 2 pros.

Reactions: spudman99
Hey thanks for your help.

Kudos to you for doing that yourself.

I am pretty handy, but I think I have to be upfront with myself and realize this may be just a bit beyond me. With my luck in similar circumstances in the past, I've bought the supplies, gotten halfway through a repair/install of something new to me, and then had to call a professional anyway.

I appreciate all your help though.