Wood stove on stained concrete?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OUchessie

Dec 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Hello, first post here...

My wife and I recently built a house with stained concrete flooring in the main room. We have an Englander 30-NC we're planning on installing and in fact just finished the rock wall that will be behind the stove. My question is with the stained concrete. I had planned on sitting the stove directly on the concrete but I don't know if you're supposed to do that with the sealer for the acid stain.

Anybody else have a wood stove placed directly on a stained concrete floor or should we put down tile?

Should be fine. Go for it and enjoy the new stove.

You're talking about a slab on grade floor that's been stained and finished so it's basically a color-stained concrete floor...? If that's the case, then I'd think there'd be no worries installing the stove right on it. If you wanted to set it off a bit, you could set a tile "hearth" or something to accent the stove installation, but that would just be for a "look", not for safety of the installation. Rick

Thanks for the replies. As this project comes along I'm sure I'll have more...

Yep, should have specified it's slab-on-grade. I figured by putting the stove directly on the concrete it might help heat the floor a bit more.

I have the same situation for my insert - I am assuming your concern is that the concrete floor sealer is flamable? My slab is textured/coloured concrete under and in front of my insert, and I have not had even a hint of odour from the heat influencing the sealer.

Does the Englander have any requirement other than a non combustible floor? The R value of concrete is really poor, and my slab is set on wooden structural members, so I have a situation where my slab doesn't meet the R value spec of the stove. I meet the needs under the insert, but not once I get beyond 4 " in front. Not planning on changing anything, as I can't see how I will light a fire in front of my stove under 2 inches of concrete, but I am aware of the issue.

If you are talking about a ground floor slab - no problem given no combustibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.