Wood Stove Question/Quadrafire 4100I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
Hello All,

Been reading this for a while and just wanted to say great forum! First year burning with my new 4100I and it has certainly been exactly what everyone describes as far the first year woes are concerned. Every week it gets better and better though and its been a lot of fun/frustration at the same time (best part is the wife enjoys it very much!). NOTHING like wood heat though! Anyways, just got a call from my wife that the door on the 4100 couldn't be opened with regular force. She had to really pull the handle and even moved the unit a little. I too have found that the door seems to be different every time we open it, from smooth effortless to absolutely stuck.

Does anyone else encounter this with their units or specifically the 4100I? Solutions/Suggestions?

Removal of ash and whatnot... Is there some trick I am missing to not have the soot particles go everywhere? I try to put in my ash pan as slow as possible but there's gotta (hopefully) be a better way.

Secondary burn tubes... They crank as new pieces go in which makes sense to me but as it transitioned to a more charcoal stage, they are off... That's whats supposed to happen correct? They aren't supposed to be working all the time?

Can't wait to get started on next year's supply!

Thanks!

iodonnell said:
Hello All,

Been reading this for a while and just wanted to say great forum! First year burning with my new 4100I and it has certainly been exactly what everyone describes as far the first year woes are concerned. Every week it gets better and better though and its been a lot of fun/frustration at the same time (best part is the wife enjoys it very much!). NOTHING like wood heat though! Anyways, just got a call from my wife that the door on the 4100 couldn't be opened with regular force. She had to really pull the handle and even moved the unit a little. I too have found that the door seems to be different every time we open it, from smooth effortless to absolutely stuck.

Does anyone else encounter this with their units or specifically the 4100I? Solutions/Suggestions?

Removal of ash and whatnot... Is there some trick I am missing to not have the soot particles go everywhere? I try to put in my ash pan as slow as possible but there's gotta (hopefully) be a better way.

Secondary burn tubes... They crank as new pieces go in which makes sense to me but as it transitioned to a more charcoal stage, they are off... That's whats supposed to happen correct? They aren't supposed to be working all the time?

Can't wait to get started on next year's supply!

Thanks!

Can't help you on the door, but regarding the secondary combustion, you are correct. When wood has reached the charcoaling stage, it has given up the volatile gases that make that pretty secondary combustion flame. This stage is naturally clean burning, so don't worry about creosote.

I was just doing a search on the quad 4100I, I've in my sixth season with mine and love it. I got it installed in January so the second season fall time frame, all of a sudden the latch was getting hard to open, I actually broke the handle off trying to open it. My dealer replaced it with the handle off the floor model and told me to lubricate the latch holder ( the box with the bar that holds the handle) so I spray it with some lubricant with teflon in it about twice a year. Have had no problems with the latch ever since.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.