Wood Stove Temp at Bottom/Base of Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Thinking about adding a low speed, low cfm fan to gently blow warm air off the base of stove into the room. The stove is partially inserted into an existing fireplace. I realize blowing too much air would cool the stove too fast.

Roughly how much hotter is a stove top then the bottom of a stove for a typical wood stove with secondary burners? I read stove bases dont get that hot compared to the stove top.

For some reason this response from a member is not being displayed:

"Not an expert, but I suspect how much ash is on bottom of stove plays a factor. Also if your stove has firebrick bottom vs straight steel or cast. Lot of variables- I’m guessing too many to give you a clear number."

Stove does have firebrick on bottom. Did not consider ash being a factor.

For some reason this response from a member is not being displayed:

"Not an expert, but I suspect how much ash is on bottom of stove plays a factor. Also if your stove has firebrick bottom vs straight steel or cast. Lot of variables- I’m guessing too many to give you a clear number."

Stove does have firebrick on bottom. Did not consider ash being a factor.

The poster removed it from view themselves.

Thinking about adding a low speed, low cfm fan to gently blow warm air off the base of stove into the room. The stove is partially inserted into an existing fireplace. I realize blowing too much air would cool the stove too fast.

Roughly how much hotter is a stove top then the bottom of a stove for a typical wood stove with secondary burners? I read stove bases dont get that hot compared to the stove top.
The air should blow across the top of the stove. With our stove there would be about a 4-500º difference between the top and bottom of the stove temps. The factory blower designed for the stove is usually the best option.

The air should blow across the top of the stove. With our stove there would be about a 4-500º difference between the top and bottom of the stove temps. The factory blower designed for the stove is usually the best option.

Wow, thats a big diff! Did you happen to actually measure temps with a gauge on the stove itself, the stove cabinet? Comparing top and bottom temps?

Yes, our stove is instrumented and the stove top typically runs about 650º. I can put my hand hearth below and it's just warm. Our cat likes to lie under the stove sometimes.