Wood stove thimble prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bk24/7

Apr 12, 2021
Long island
First post. Having some trouble finding info on wall thimbles.

I have an existing jotul wood stove in my currently unfinished basement. It exhausts out of a concrete wall into a concrete chimney lined with a 6" stainless liner. There is a single wall black pipe exiting the wall into basement.

Im currently finishing the basement. The stove area will be wood studs spaced off the concrete wall, covered with cement board and stone.

Im looking a wall thimble to pass through the stud wall to hook up to stove.

The problem im having is the prices of the thimbles. I called numerous local places, they seem to be lost as to what im asking for and are giving all different answers and prices. So far, ive gotten qoutes for $200, $600, and $1000. All three are insulated thimbles. Its just adding to my confusion as to the massive difference in prices. I attached some pictures for clarification if im explaining this wrong.

Any advice?
20210407_184506.jpg 20210407_184129.jpg 20210412_092230.jpg 20210412_092850.jpg

First post. Having some trouble finding info on wall thimbles.

I have an existing jotul wood stove in my currently unfinished basement. It exhausts out of a concrete wall into a concrete chimney lined with a 6" stainless liner. There is a single wall black pipe exiting the wall into basement.

Im currently finishing the basement. The stove area will be wood studs spaced off the concrete wall, covered with cement board and stone.

Im looking a wall thimble to pass through the stud wall to hook up to stove.

The problem im having is the prices of the thimbles. I called numerous local places, they seem to be lost as to what im asking for and are giving all different answers and prices. So far, ive gotten qoutes for $200, $600, and $1000. All three are insulated thimbles. Its just adding to my confusion as to the massive difference in prices. I attached some pictures for clarification if im explaining this wrong.

Any advice?

View attachment 277769 View attachment 277770 View attachment 277771 View attachment 277772
Why not just use steel studs and rockwool insulation?

Yes, there can be a wide variation in insulated thimble prices, but $1000 is a bit ridiculous. The Dalsin Insul-Flue is one option for about $325 (thimble and cover). Heat-Fab makes the Safe-T Thimble for about the same price. The cheapest option might be to frame it in with brick. That would require at least 12" of brick above, below and to the sides of the thimble.
(EDIT: looks like bholler has posted another good alternative)

Btw with a stainless liner that should absolutely not be black pipe coming out of the wall it should be stainless

Thanks for replies. This is driving me a little nuts. The whole project on hold because of this thimble.

I thought about steel studs but wasnt sure what kind of horizontal weight they could support. The stone im using is fairly heavy. Wasnt sure if steel would flex with weight of stone attached. Maybe just use steel around stovepipe. Plus, ive been framing with wood my whole life. Im just stubborn.
I was confused about the blackpipe exiting wall too. Its a stainless liner with a tee a bottom(not accessible) and black wall coming in basement. I was told it was fine, but wood stoves are new too me.

I appreciate the replies. Ill look into the thimbles listed. I was once quoted $12000 to skimcoat a kitchen. No thanks, ill do it myself. Welcome to long island

• Haha
Reactions: Shrewboy
Just looked. Dalsin insul-flue is what a local shop was going to sell me for $600. Thats some profit margin. Jeeze.

And why would the black pipe leaving stainless be an issue? Is it a corrosion problem?

Yes, corrosion. Once built into the wall is is essentially permanent infrastructure. Black stove pipe can only be used in the room, not through the wall.

Ok. Thanks. Just pulled the black pipe out. It was in bad shape. Can the stainless pipe just slide into tee or does it have to be fastened or clamped?

Attachments

• 20210412_174010.jpg
    20210412_174010.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20210412_174017.jpg
    20210412_174017.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210412_174615.jpg
    20210412_174615.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 136
Ok. Thanks. Just pulled the black pipe out. It was in bad shape. Can the stainless pipe just slide into tee or does it have to be fastened or clamped?
It needs to be riveted fast

I bought the selkirk one for like $300 and i'm outside the return window. This one from Rockford Chimney supply is a little cheaper at $225. If you end up replacing that T Snout with a stainless one, just order the longer snout (i think Rockford sells one at 22" long), then this thimble bolts to the cement wall, snout runs straight through it into the room, and then i believe you can crimp the end of the snout and screw your black stove pipe to it. someone can correct me if i'm wrong. But this may be a good/affordable way to handle your situation.

(side note - not sure about metal studs supporting the weight of the stone, probably won't, you'd have to look into thicker gauge than what they carry at box stores. But with lumber prices what they are, if you were ever going to dabble with metal studs, now might be the time)
1618587455096.png

I bought the selkirk one for like $300 and i'm outside the return window. This one from Rockford Chimney supply is a little cheaper at $225. If you end up replacing that T Snout with a stainless one, just order the longer snout (i think Rockford sells one at 22" long), then this thimble bolts to the cement wall, snout runs straight through it into the room, and then i believe you can crimp the end of the snout and screw your black stove pipe to it. someone can correct me if i'm wrong. But this may be a good/affordable way to handle your situation.

(side note - not sure about metal studs supporting the weight of the stone, probably won't, you'd have to look into thicker gauge than what they carry at box stores. But with lumber prices what they are, if you were ever going to dabble with metal studs, now might be the time)
View attachment 277872
That is an Olympia chimney supply thimble and it is by far the easiest one to work with.

And yes metal studs will absolutely support stone veneer I have done it many times.

I ordered the olympia thimble. Seems to be the best price, adjustable, easy to work with. You guys recommend any online suppliers for pipe? I usually like to support Local shops but theyve cranked up the prices. Any crimping tool recommendations? Or just by the precrimped?