Wood stove to pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crouty

Oct 2, 2019
I have a free standing wood stove and want to put in a free standing pellet stove. Can I use the same stainless steel pipe the wood stove is using?

I did.... I had a 6" stainless liner installed when i used wood. i used a 6" to 3" reducer and then 3" pipe with a T cleanout

I did.... I had a 6" stainless liner installed when i used wood. i used a 6" to 3" reducer and then 3" pipe with a T cleanout

That's what I did with mine It has worked fine for the
last 17 years.

In short yes but you need to refer to your units installation manual. If it’s not a listed installation type in your specific code the factory may consider it installed incorrectly and drop your warranty. What stove are you looking at?

Yes, Tye into it. Gotta have draft though. While that puppy is igniting it heats exhaust pipe as well. Then the fire kicks in. Just tie in, fire it up, and let it go. Simple explanation. Use you judgement and don't be skeeeerrred! People hype up too much what IF's and BS. Install as your manual says with clearances etc;

Run it warm or clean it. < venting.

Use you judgement and don't be skeeeerrred! People hype up too much what IF's and BS. Install as your manual says with clearances etc;
I had a customer pipe his stove with b vent through his porch and stack pellets on the pipe to keep them dry... his judgement was skerry. By the time fire department got there she was burning warm enough... Follow the installation manual. Your judgement is suspect.

I went from a a wood stove to a pellet stove. I went from a 3" to the existing 6" wood stove pipe. The building inspector made me run a 3" all the way to the top of the chimney. Cost me big time.

Did he tell you why you had to run a liner?
Our inspector was happy that the 3in. pipe was connected to the 6 in.
Class A Chimney and so was my insurance company

Reactions: Ssyko
Not sure I remember. I remember him saying something about doing me a favor. I replied thanks a lot you just cost me a 1000 bucks, before I asked him to leave. Can't fight city hall, so I did it his way or my home owners insurance would be useless. A different inspector came out, hardly glanced at the install and approved it. Give it a shot and if he asks if the pipe goes all the way up the chimney SAY YES !

IMG_4458.JPG

Probably, the install guide should outline this. Mine is 4" to 6". The 4" diameter is required for operating at a higher elevation.

I also ran the numbers and it was cheaper to have someone do this than do it myself. I like reducing my liability too.

Nice install
If your install is inspected and approved your Liability
is reduced. did my own install approved by building Inspector,
Fire Department and Insurance Company. Does not matter who
installed it as long as it is done correctly

Reactions: bags and Sm1ley
So there is a new stove on the market I got this year that is a direct replacement pellet stove for a wood stove. It does not use electricity either and really looks nice. Took me less than 30 minutes to swap out as it uses standard 6" single wall... Take a look:

It radiates heat better than my old wood stove. I've only been burning it a few weeks but we got snow last night and it is supposed to get to 20 tonight...
1009191145.jpg

I replaced BK King (8" Pipe) with Harmon XXV. 3" to T and adapter to 8" right at wall. On 2nd season. I had to clean it only once last year and end of season. Very easy compared to WS.

So there is a new stove on the market I got this year that is a direct replacement pellet stove for a wood stove. It does not use electricity either and really looks nice. Took me less than 30 minutes to swap out as it uses standard 6" single wall... Take a look:

It radiates heat better than my old wood stove. I've only been burning it a few weeks but we got snow last night and it is supposed to get to 20 tonight...
View attachment 248888

How does it work without electricity?

How does it work without electricity?
There is a hopper that directly feeds the fire. I can put a bit more than a full bag into the hopper. So far I haven't had any problems except for it putting out too much heat. I have it installed in a split level home and really only heating about 1200 square feet upstairs so burning it on low and only putting about 10 pounds at a time seems to keep the 35 to 50 degree weather outside at bay. My wife loves at as she likes the house above 75 anyway.

Also there was just a thread talking about the dangers of hot ash buckets in the house...
This one you don't pull coals out... So far every coal has burnt up and turned to ash. It's been unseasonably cold up her in north Idaho and I have been burning in for over two weeks now... I'll know more in a couple of months but the glass hasn't even gotten dirty yet... I looked up the EPA numbers on it and apparently it only puts out 0.4 g/hr whatever that means, but it is apparently one of the cleanest burning units available now.

actually there one other choice. Liberator rocket stove it has an add on pellet hopper for fuel , IIRC it is a 6" flue. Do not know if it is EPA approved

If I needed to go with a pellet stove this looks much more promising than the US Stove/Wiseway pellet stove.
It looks like it has been discontinued according to this site:

But interesting enough I checked and my stove was made by Breckwell... Leads me to believe they must have developed a better stove.

I did check out the Wiseway but my wife said it was ugly and if I wanted it it could go in my shop. Happy wife = Happy life LOL