Wood stove without a chimmney????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssvirsky

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2008
Cape Ann
Hi all. I am buying a new (little) house that has limited space so I am looking at putting a wood stove in, can't live without fire LOL! My inspector said there are some wood stoves out there, that like gas, only vent horixontally out through the wall. Does anyone have experience with these and/or can tell me what stoves can be installed like this?

Thank you

Susan

Hi, Susan and welcome. The inspector was probably talking about an exterior stainless steel chimney. The stove pipe would exit through the wall to the vertical add-on chimney. Or he might be talking about a stove that burns money, or excuse me I meant pellets! :lol:

I think he may be talking about pellet stoves maybe??? I don't really know anything about them, but that's the only thing I could think of that might have a horizontal exhaust/chimney.

webby3650 said:
Or he might be talking about a stove that burns money, or excuse me I meant pellets! :lol:

Good one. :lol:

Thanks North of 60, I am speaking from experience here. I had a pellet stove in my former home, it did heat the home well because of the set-up, in my new home it sucked and had to go!!! That was when gas and pellets were cheap, it was a total wash. I might as well use gas! So I switched to wood about 4 years ago and love it!

webby3650 said:
Thanks North of 60, I am speaking from experience here. I had a pellet stove in my former home, it did heat the home well because of the set-up, in my new home it sucked and had to go!!! That was when gas and pellets were cheap, it was a total wash. I might as well use gas! So I switched to wood about 4 years ago and love it!

Up here they are best known for the rich and foolish. OH and hope the pellet pigs dont take it personal. :shut: ( eernest-4 is my body guard) :p Costs may be due to our logistics.
OH and Welcome Susan to the Hearth. All wood burning appliances would require a chimney of some sort. Your inspector must of meant what the others said. Stay on board and keep asking questions. Cheers
N of 60

susanS said:
Hi all. I am buying a new (little) house that has limited space so I am looking at putting a wood stove in, can't live without fire LOL! My inspector said there are some wood stoves out there, that like gas, only vent horixontally out through the wall. Does anyone have experience with these and/or can tell me what stoves can be installed like this?

Thank you

Susan

Welcome to the forum Susan.

Wood stoves can be installed with the flue through the wall and then up. That is how we have ours. The stove sits 18" from the wall. Black pipe from the stove to the thimble then out to a tee and up from there. The chimney is SS, which is expensive but very good. With the tee, it makes cleaning the chimney a breeze and you can do that yourself instead of hiring it done.

Installing this way you usually need some extra height on the chimney but in our case we did not. That horizontal section also needs some rise; that is, do not install it level, but put at least 1/4" per foot rise in the pipe. We put a little more than 1/4" per foot.

The Fireview works great with this setup. We have good draft and the chimney stays clean. Better yet, the house stays warm and the Fireview is a beautiful stove and very easy to operate. My wife can do everything that needs doing with the stove, so no worries there.

Status
Not open for further replies.