Wood Stoves 2022

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CAVOK

Jul 16, 2022
Laurentians, Quebec
Good Day Everyone,

I have read a lot here, but this is my first post.

I need some help and am trying to narrow down my research.

We are looking to replace our old low end steel woodstove, with something more efficient. But I have to admit, I am lost. It seems like every time I find something I like there are a lot of complants and bad reviews. I know there are a lot of threads here on stoves, but I am trying to get more up to date info. I am also trying to separate truth from fiction. Here is what I am looking at....

First pick is the Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. I love the look and the "claimed performance". But the reviews are horrible. Ranging from poor build quality i've seen pics of creosol leaking from the corners to windows being faulty.) Even a dealer who I spoke to admitted that they aren't what they used to be.
I have also read about poor customer service. Lastly, I have read they are hard to work on. A lot of ppl also talk of poor draft issues, but I think thats installation/user error.

Next is the Lopi Cape Cod. A dealer near me has a demo for sale. He said he's willing to give me a deal. $6000.00 Canadian, $4,600 USD tax in. Seems pricey. I like the stove, but read of the baffle bending. To be honest, I think this has already happened. He said he would of-course replace it. The Cape Cod has been discontinued and that worries me.

Lastly is the Jotul F500 Oslo CF. I like it. Not crazy about the look, but I could get along with it. I haven't seen too many complaints. My only concern is the burn time vs. the Green Mountain 60.

Any input would be great. I am lost! Very over-whelming. Any other suggestions for stoves would be welcome as well. Thanks everyone.

Why not look at an sbi product as they are made in quebec.i have the osburn 3300 and really like it.i was equally impressed with the enerzone made by sbi

I’m f I were picking a new stove it would probably be a pacific energy.

It’s hard to find a bad Pacific Energy review. I’m sure they exist, but lots of happy users.

My T5 has been a wonderful stove.

I’m not sold on most of those hybrid stoves yet, I think they have a few kinks to work out still. You mentioned the F500, Did the store happen to have a Jotul F45 or F55? Both have great reviews and long burn times. Woodstock, Blaze King and Pacific Energy are also highly recommended here.

Funny, the Jotel, dealer also showed me a Pacific Energy Super LE. It was a lot cheaper than the rest of the stoves I had looked at. I dont why, but I we didn't spend much time looking at it. We moved on to the Jotel's. But I do have the brochure.

Are they efficient stoves? And can you control how hot they burn? Or is it all or nothing. I was leaning more towards a catalytic stove, for longer burn times, despite the maintenance. I find our old school stove is just too hot and not efficient.

If your steel stove puts off too much radiant heat, look at the Alderlea line. The T5 is the same burn chamber as that Super, but it’s clad in cast iron which softens the heat.

I feel it’s efficient, but there are other stoves with a cleaner burn, if that’s how you want to measure efficiency.

The longer burn times of a (some) cat stoves are possible but that is at a lower output per hour.

The efficiency of modern EPA approved stoves, cat or noncats, will be the same - at least as far as you'll experience. A change in efficiency of one or two percent won't be noticeable over the variability in wood and weather.

So I'd pick a stove you like. You're the one who has to look at it...

Other concerns are whether you want to have a high max heat output so you can heat solely with wood in Quebec winters, or something that won't keep up at the coldest days but still puts out good heat that you then top up and modulate with your conventional heating system.

Compare how much the old stove put out with whatever you are looking at now.

Reactions: bholler
The longer burn times of a (some) cat stoves are possible but that is at a lower output per hour.

The efficiency of modern EPA approved stoves, cat or noncats, will be the same - at least as far as you'll experience. A change in efficiency of one or two percent won't be noticeable over the variability in wood and weather.

So I'd pick a stove you like. You're the one who has to look at it...

Other concerns are whether you want to have a high max heat output so you can heat solely with wood in Quebec winters, or something that won't keep up at the coldest days but still puts out good heat that you then top up and modulate with your conventional heating system.

Compare how much the old stove put out with whatever you are looking at now.
And remember, efficiency numbers, Btu's are all lab results. 6 new reports were just posted on July 1, some heavy reading. www.nescaum.org

Although specific stoves are not named, some are easily identified. (To this group!)

Selecting a stove based upon consumer satisfaction for an appropriate climate region is far more beneficial that lab data.

Selecting a stove based upon consumer satisfaction for an appropriate climate region is far more beneficial that lab data.
Perfect words. Lab data is a good source but anyway it is more important to know experience of other users

Reactions: EbS-P
Good Day Everyone,

I have read a lot here, but this is my first post.

I need some help and am trying to narrow down my research.

We are looking to replace our old low end steel woodstove, with something more efficient. But I have to admit, I am lost. It seems like every time I find something I like there are a lot of complants and bad reviews. I know there are a lot of threads here on stoves, but I am trying to get more up to date info. I am also trying to separate truth from fiction. Here is what I am looking at....

Any input would be great. I am lost! Very over-whelming. Any other suggestions for stoves would be welcome as well. Thanks everyone.
I would look at Canadian-made stoves by Regency, Pacific Energy, SBI (Drolet, Osburn, Enerzone) and Napoleon.

Some questions: What is the old stove that is being replaced? How large of an area will the stove be heating? How well insulated is the home? Will this be for 24/7 heating or mostly nights and weekends?

Funny, the Jotel, dealer also showed me a Pacific Energy Super LE. It was a lot cheaper than the rest of the stoves I had looked at. I dont why, but I we didn't spend much time looking at it. We moved on to the Jotel's. But I do have the brochure.

Are they efficient stoves? And can you control how hot they burn? Or is it all or nothing. I was leaning more towards a catalytic stove, for longer burn times, despite the maintenance. I find our old school stove is just too hot and not efficient.
PE stoves are easy to control and long-lasting. They burn well with a partial load for less heat or full load of fuel. How well their stoves will burn is dependent on many factors including the flue configuration, the fuel quality and dryness, air control setting, and the operator. FWIW, our T6 burns from as low as a 300ºF stovetop up to a 700º stovetop depending on how I run it.

Last edited:
I would look at Canadian-made stoves by Regency, Pacific Energy, SBI (Drolet, Osburn, Enerzone) and Napoleon.

Some questions: What is the old stove that is being replaced? How large of an area will the stove be heating? How well insulated is the home? Will this be for 24/7 heating or mostly nights and weekends?

PE stoves are easy to control and long-lasting. They burn well with a partial load for less heat or full load of fuel. How well their stoves will burn is dependent on many factors including the flue configuration, the fuel quality and dryness, air control setting, and the operator. FWIW, our T6 burns from as low as a 300ºF stovetop up to a 700º stovetop depending on how I run it.
I was going to say "remember some Blaze King models are Canadian made." But the Ashfords and Ashford insert are made here in Walla Walla....