Wood that’s become soft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acritzer

May 10, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Can I use wood that’s become or becoming soft? Most likely from bugs? There’s definitely some that’s rotten, but what about pieces that aren’t totally gone? Or some that are half and half?

If it's dry (and not a wet sponge), then yes. You'll get a lot less heat out of it (because its weight is lower), but it'll burn without issues if it's dry. Keep an eye on how fast it goes (damping down soon enough) because it burns quicker (more surface area available).

Burning punky, light, dry honey locust during the days right now... Similar to burning softwood.

According to Webster
Definition of punkwood
: rotten wood
especially : wood permeated by the mycelium of pore fungi and frequently luminescent.
I'll need to check on the luminescent part.

According to Webster
Definition of punkwood
: rotten wood
especially : wood permeated by the mycelium of pore fungi and frequently luminescent.
I'll need to check on the luminescent part.

Cool, yes! Pics pls :)

If you've never seen luminescent wood, it's really cool. I see it in aspen here or there.

Reactions: stoveliker
I'm going to have to let some wood rot... (I cringe...)

Pics probably wouldn't show up. It's very light, greenish blue and it has to be super dark out to see it. I saw some roots and a section of a stump glowing last year after my brush was burned down to coals and there was little moonlight.

Reactions: stoveliker
I have read The French purposely let their wood rot. Proper aging or some such thing. Go figure.

Lol. Like their moldy cheese - but that I actually like quite a bit!

Dry and punky = burn away, but realize it will burn faster.

Wet and punky = tossed into the woods to become tree food.