Woodburner and liner help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cdefeli2

Nov 19, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for help. I have a 1300 square foot shop I am looking to heat with my Fisher mama near wood stove. My question refers to my chimney.

There was an old fuel oil furnace that had a ceramic chimney going thru the roof that is still there and connected. How would I go about connecting to that chimney for my wood burner. Money is tight and I would like to just run a 6" liner up through the existing ceramic 8" round chimney. Do I need to insulate a single wall pipe? Can I use galvanized heavy gauge pipe part way up as long as it's not in the shop? Need some info.

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for help. I have a 1300 square foot shop I am looking to heat with my Fisher mama near wood stove. My question refers to my chimney.

There was an old fuel oil furnace that had a ceramic chimney going thru the roof that is still there and connected. How would I go about connecting to that chimney for my wood burner. Money is tight and I would like to just run a 6" liner up through the existing ceramic 8" round chimney. Do I need to insulate a single wall pipe? Can I use galvanized heavy gauge pipe part way up as long as it's not in the shop? Need some info.
Well it all dep e mds what you mean by a ceramic chimney. Is it a masonry chimney with a ceramic liner or something else?

Well it all dep e mds what you mean by a ceramic chimney. Is it a masonry chimney with a ceramic liner or something else?
I uploaded a picture, it used to be for a gas chimney. What I have is just a mock-up. I haven't had a fire in it and the pipe is just set in there
cfbff2935fc316a75fe8204dbcb43e1a.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I uploaded a picture, it used to be for a gas chimney. What I have is just a mock-up. I haven't had a fire in it and the pipe is just set in there View attachment 216148

I really doubt there are any liners rated to be put in a chimney like that. They pretty much all need 4" of masonry. Where does the crock going out the wall go? Is there a chimney for that

I really doubt there are any liners rated to be put in a chimney like that. They pretty much all need 4" of masonry. Where does the crock going out the wall go? Is there a chimney for that
That is just a collar hanging on the wall that goes to the existing chimney

That is just a collar hanging on the wall that goes to the existing chimney

If you were to do it it would absolutly need insulated znd would need to be stainless

If you were to do it it would absolutly need insulated znd would need to be stainless
Would the 1/2" insulation wrap you can buy online work on a stainless flexible insert?

Also just out of curiosity, would I be able to insulate black rigid pipe up there to save some money?

Would the 1/2" insulation wrap you can buy online work on a stainless flexible insert?

Also just out of curiosity, would I be able to insulate black rigid pipe up there to save some money?

Yes any 1/2" chimney liner insulation kit will work but it wont bring it up to code because it is not tested for that type of chimney. And black pipe wont save you any money because you will be replacing it every year or two along with the insulation.

Yes any 1/2" chimney liner insulation kit will work but it wont bring it up to code because it is not tested for that type of chimney. And black pipe wont save you any money because you will be replacing it every year or two along with the insulation.
This is what the pipe is through the ceiling
42a0565f414ba5b2d16ae72b28f948d4.jpg

That was not even suitable for your oil burner. And no way it will be to code even with an insulated liner.
Thank you for the help, im glad i got rid of the oil burner then. I'm probably just going to remove this one and spend the money for the correct thimble and pipe through the roof. I like the shop too much to have it be a pile of ashes...

Reactions: bholler
Thank you for the help, im glad i got rid of the oil burner then. I'm probably just going to remove this one and spend the money for the correct thimble and pipe through the roof. I like the shop too much to have it be a pile of ashes...

That is definatly the safest bet. An insulated liner may be fine in there but no one has ever tested it so we have no way of knowing if it is safe or not