Woodchief insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montok26

Sep 19, 2016
Va
Hey guys new here and I just got a wood chief wood insert for my house and wondering if any one has any info on it I have a lined chimney but here are some pics please let me know what you think it about it.
IMG_3053.jpg IMG_9203.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest Routing the power supply cord away from the unit.

Are there doors for it?

Yes there are locking doors on it with glass windows I had them off cuz I was cleaning them but I mean any concerns I should have I talked to the manufacturer and they did say it was an old unit so I wasn't so sure about it

The power comes from the left side from the blowers how would I move the cord?

Yes there are locking doors on it with glass windows I had them off cuz I was cleaning them but I mean any concerns I should have I talked to the manufacturer and they did say it was an old unit so I wasn't so sure about it
You say you have a lined chimney. What is it lined with and how big is the liner. How big is the outlet on the insert?

Well you need an 8" liner for that size opening. The liner needs to run from the top of the stove all the way up through the chimney to the top. It should also be insulated for best performance safety and code compliance.

Well you need an 8" liner for that size opening. The liner needs to run from the top of the stove all the way up through the chimney to the top. It should also be insulated for best performance safety and code compliance.
This is my opening you saying I need 8incj for this

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 811
This is my opening you saying I need 8incj for this
Yes 4 x 12 is 48 square inches. An 8" liner is 50 square inches. You might be able to get away with a 7" liner if you have enough height but I would go with 8"

Yes 4 x 12 is 48 square inches. An 8" liner is 50 square inches. You might be able to get away with a 7" liner if you have enough height but I would go with 8"
OK I'll go remeasure my liner Im not home at this time but I will double check it

Do you know much about that insert tho?

And if I put that in do you think I need to hook something up to the top of the story e or can I just put It inside and the draft will pull the smoke up or you think I need like a 4ft price tof bring it past my damper
Sorry I don't know much about this stuff I just bought my home and it had a masonry Fireplace with a damper in it

Do you know much about that insert tho?
Nope I know nothing about that insert.

And if I put that in do you think I need to hook something up to the top of the story e or can I just put It inside and the draft will pull the smoke up or you think I need like a 4ft price tof bring it past my damper
Sorry I don't know much about this stuff I just bought my home and it had a masonry Fireplace with a damper in it
You cannot just slide it in anymore it does not meet code and it is unsafe as well. It technically is to code to just run a section of stainless liner up into the clay liner but you need to seal that liner into the clay liner and there really is no way to do that. It also will not be very easy to service and it will not perform as well that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.