Woodpecker Pellet Boiler Shut Down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireMeUp

Sep 7, 2016
New York
Hello Everyone,

I bought a house just over a year ago that had a Woodpecker 25 Model pellet boiler already installed. It seemed to burn with no real issues this past winter. The only problem was frequent ash cleaning, but it otherwise operated fine and heated the house. However, at the end of the season (thankfully) the ceramic board in the back of the combustion chamber had dealt with all it could handle. I came home to find my Woodpecker boiler showing an Error Code on the control panel and figured that it just needed a cleaning. When I opened the combustion chamber door I noticed the ceramic board had broken into multiple pieces and of course could no longer provide a barrier.

I've attempted to contact Webiomass via email and phone, but have been unsuccessful. The email bounces back as invalid and the phone calls go unanswered to an answering machine that doesn't sound like a business and I don't get a return call. Is this company still even in business anymore?

I've contacted a boiler service company in my area that does service a certain brand of pellet boiler, but unfortunately it is not the Woodpecker. However, they were familiar with the Woodpecker brand and said that they believe Webiomass was no longer in business and was sold. They also believe that the company that may have bought Webiomass has also gone under.

Has anybody else had issues contacting Webiomass for parts and/or service?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.​

Best regards,

FMU

Hmmm. I did a google search and it looks like a nice well made boiler. I am surprised they went out of business. Does the board have any manufacturer name on it beside woodpecker? Also any idea who the dealer it came from was? They might be able to point you to other dealers that sold woodpecker and they might have old new parts sitting on the shelf.

One other thought, you said the board is broken into pieces? Could you find a local small electronics company that would be willing to disassemble the board and rebuild it onto a new board? Even a company online you might be able to send it away to?

It's ceramic. You'd think you could get something custom made. What's gonna break next though. It's a sad tale to hear.

Hello Everyone,

I bought a house just over a year ago that had a Woodpecker 25 Model pellet boiler already installed. It seemed to burn with no real issues this past winter. The only problem was frequent ash cleaning, but it otherwise operated fine and heated the house. However, at the end of the season (thankfully) the ceramic board in the back of the combustion chamber had dealt with all it could handle. I came home to find my Woodpecker boiler showing an Error Code on the control panel and figured that it just needed a cleaning. When I opened the combustion chamber door I noticed the ceramic board had broken into multiple pieces and of course could no longer provide a barrier.

I've attempted to contact Webiomass via email and phone, but have been unsuccessful. The email bounces back as invalid and the phone calls go unanswered to an answering machine that doesn't sound like a business and I don't get a return call. Is this company still even in business anymore?

I've contacted a boiler service company in my area that does service a certain brand of pellet boiler, but unfortunately it is not the Woodpecker. However, they were familiar with the Woodpecker brand and said that they believe Webiomass was no longer in business and was sold. They also believe that the company that may have bought Webiomass has also gone under.

Best regards,

FMU

Hi Fire me up

I have the same unit.

The board is vermiculite.

I have seen it on Amazon.

Save the old pieces for a pattern and you can use the smaller pieces to replace smaller panels that will eventually go bad.

Cuts with a hand saw or circular saw.

A scrap 1/2" x 1/2" x 6" has the strength and brittleness of a piece of blackboard chalk.

Where are you? I am in SW new Hampshire and know of one dealer that can service unit.

Mine has worked very well, but cleaning is critical.

There are several areas that the service men seem to always miss that can cause you a lot of trouble.

I had to replace the burn pot twice because of poor cleaning.

Good Luck

Haha, I severely misunderstood your problem. I thought you were talking about electronics board.

Hello Everyone,

Best regards,

FMU

In the same boat but have done Quite a bit of research to keep my boiler up in running. first if you are getting a lot of ash you are purchasing crappy pellets.. Look for Douglas fir pellets. I do a 2-1 Mixture with pine pellet. with great results.

Webiomass Is out of business. The board is vermiculite board you can purchase it in USA @ Bull's eye Glass on line. Their web Site :http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/bullseye-vermiculite-board-24-x-36-x-1.html.

Any other parts you may need you will have to go to Ireland or find an alternate part here in USA. The place in Ireland Is called WoodCo. They actually stock parts for Woodpecker Boilers on the shelf. Yes including the Vermiculite boards. The Web Address. https://www.biomasssparesdirect.com... if you need to contact the email is: [email protected]. They are very helpful & Quick to respond.

Best of luck!

I have a brand new burn pot and igniter for the woodpecker if anybody needs one. If interested you can pm me. Foamit UP

I have a good amount of these 1" vermiculite boards
Let me know what size you need

Attachments

• IMG_3383.JPG
    IMG_3383.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 330
Hi all,
I have a Woodpecker 25kW pellet boiler for sale if anyone is interested. I had it in my shop, about 100' feet from my house, with a heat exchanger in the house. I also had a 600 gallon insulated stainless steel water storage tank beside the boiler but I couldn't get the boiler to communicate with the storage tank, so the boiler ended up running all the time. I finally gave up and decided to change to a wood boiler this year. I replaced the original burn tube with a stainless steel one, and there's a new (used for a year) ash auger motor. It was working up until I took it out last Fall, except the ignitor went about a week before the wood boiler was being delivered, so I didn't bother to replace it. I kept it VERY clean and well maintained. I would 'prefer' to sell the whole boiler, and not just parts because I don't want to get into taking it all apart (I don't have the time or expertise to start doing that!).... but if no one expresses an interest in the whole thing, I will think about parting it out. I live in Hanover, Ontario, but would be willing to meet someone part way if distance is an issue, and I would even consider taking it to my side of the border (Niagara Falls/Buffalo/Fort Erie area) for someone.
I don't know if you can PM me in this forum or not (I can't remember!), but if you are interested, reply to this thread and we will figure out how to connect! Patti

In the same boat but have done Quite a bit of research to keep my boiler up in running. first if you are getting a lot of ash you are purchasing crappy pellets.. Look for Douglas fir pellets. I do a 2-1 Mixture with pine pellet. with great results.

Webiomass Is out of business. The board is vermiculite board you can purchase it in USA @ Bull's eye Glass on line. Their web Site :http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/bullseye-vermiculite-board-24-x-36-x-1.html.

Any other parts you may need you will have to go to Ireland or find an alternate part here in USA. The place in Ireland Is called WoodCo. They actually stock parts for Woodpecker Boilers on the shelf. Yes including the Vermiculite boards. The Web Address. https://www.biomasssparesdirect.com... if you need to contact the email is: [email protected]. They are very helpful & Quick to respond.

Best of luck!
Wow! Thanks for the part sources! I wish I had known about them a few years ago when I was trying to find parts for my 25kW Woodpecker!!

Hi! I have an almost brand new stainless steel burn pot that I put in my Woodpecker. I can sell it to you if you are interested. I have to check my receipts and see what I paid for it and there would be shipping as well. Do you need it asap? I could ship it from my friend's cottage in Delevan, New York- it would probably be cheaper- but I'm not sure when we'll be going down again...probably not for a month or so. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you a price including shipping. If you need any other parts, let me know! I have it stored at a friend's place right now. I was planning on taking it to the scrap yard this fall, but I HATE doing that when there are people still using their boilers and may need parts- as I KNOW how hard it is to get them, so I'd like to help out! Patti

Hi! I have an almost brand new stainless steel burn pot that I put in my Woodpecker. I can sell it to you if you are interested. I have to check my receipts and see what I paid for it and there would be shipping as well. Do you need it asap? I could ship it from my friend's cottage in Delevan, New York- it would probably be cheaper- but I'm not sure when we'll be going down again...probably not for a month or so. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you a price including shipping. If you need any other parts, let me know! I have it stored at a friend's place right now. I was planning on taking it to the scrap yard this fall, but I HATE doing that when there are people still using their boilers and may need parts- as I KNOW how hard it is to get them, so I'd like to help out! Patti

Declan from Biomass Spares Direct just got back to me. I don't know why the emails were bouncing back but they are still in business. Anyway he says there were several burn tubes made for the Woodpecker and want's me to send a picture to make sure he ships me the correct one.
My burn tube is cast iron and it's for the 25kW boiler. Patti, is that the same stove you have? It worries me that your burn tube is stainless, but it could still fit. I'd just hate to buy the wrong part. Too bad your not closer I'd buy the whole stove for spare parts! My stove is still running okay. It's not an emergency so I can wait until you are in NY. Would it be possible for you to send a picture of the burner? Would you be up for shipping the whole burner? Thanks!!!

Hi!
That’s news to me that different burner tubes/ burn chambers were made for this model. The only ones I am aware of are the cast iron model and this identical stainless steel model. Mine is 25kW - the same as yours. It originally had a cast iron one burn tube that disintegrated through, so I bought this stainless steel model so it wouldn’t burn through like the other one. It was manufactured in the States for this model by a guy named George Robbins who bought the rights to sell Woodpecker in the States. His company’s name was WeBiomass and it was in Vermont. I believe he is now out of business.
I’m not totally sure what you mean by the ‘whole burner’...
How far are you from Delevan, New York 14042? I would consider selling the entire unit if you would pick it up there. Its about a 5 hour drive from where I live to my friend’s cottage in Delevan. Let me know if you are interested in doing that and we can discuss further. I will get some pictures for you. I’m not sure what the privacy policies are on here...if we can share FB contact info or email addresses or what...
Can ADMIN clarify for me how I can share pictures and communicate with Narcea? Thanks!!

I'm sure it's the same burn tube as I believe this boiler originally came from WeBiomass. I'm in Saugerties which is about 5hrs from Delevan. So picking up the whole unit is not going to happen. Can you look into sending the SS burn tube and let me know how much including shipping to Saugerties, NY? Like I said before I don't need it right away. I can wait for you to ship from Delevan to save a little. Thanks again for you help. I really appreciate it!

Yup...it might be a few weeks before I can get shipping quotes and all that... I don't remember how much it weighs, and I don't know how long it will be before my friend can take it all apart to weigh it. I have a lot going on right now, including getting my wood inside and trying to buy a gasification boiler, amongst a million other things, so if I forget to get back to you, you might have to remind me.

I understand it's a busy time of year here too. Please let me know when you are ready. Thanks again.

Yup...it might be a few weeks before I can get shipping quotes and all that... I don't remember how much it weighs, and I don't know how long it will be before my friend can take it all apart to weigh it. I have a lot going on right now, including getting my wood inside and trying to buy a gasification boiler, amongst a million other things, so if I forget to get back to you, you might have to remind me.