Woods almost gone, Getting Bio bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
So I have never burned bio bricks before. My local menards has a good stash of them so I am going to pick up a couple packs to get me through the next week or so. Any advice on burning with them?

I keep a stash of them for the wifey easier for her to get a good fire going while I'm at work :) They burn hot and quick IMHO. While in college I worked as a cabinet maker. We had a ram type machine in the shop that would pound out 2" diameter pellets all day from the saw dust we made in the shop. We heated the facility all winter from our own saw dust. Definitely not a bad source of heat by any means

watch your air. too many bricks and too much air can mean an overfire.

shoot-straight can you explain what an "over fire" means?? I see this term here all the time. Is it a temp thing? flame thing?

I keep a stash of them for the wifey easier for her to get a good fire going while I'm at work :) They burn hot and quick IMHO.

i do the same thing. but since i got NIEL's, the fire I leave in the morning keeps the house warm until 4pm, sometimes longer. I'm definitely getting a pallett next year.

johnpma, your in MA, they deliver to us.

I'm in W.Mass I grab them a tractor supply. $3.49 for 6pack....cheaper than a 6 of PBR :)

i'm talking about NIEL's, or overnight logs sold at Robbins Garden Supply, in Oxford, MA, just SW of Worcester, do you know them?

i'm talking about NIEL's, or overnight logs sold at Robbins Garden Supply, in Oxford, MA, just SW of Worcester, do you know them?
Ahhhh ok heard of them yes. Was just in that area today......Millbury I'll check it out next time I'm out your way Thanks!

shoot-straight can you explain what an "over fire" means?? I see this term here all the time. Is it a temp thing? flame thing?
i am not shoot-straight,,but,,,.

When they say "overfire" it means that your fire is too hot, or out of control in some cases. "Over fire" is a temp that is too hot for your stove, and may cause damage.

It was referenced in this thread by SS warning that if you put in too many of those bio-bricks and open your air too much,,,you will get a fire that will get too hot, and not able to control,,,,being the "overfire"

Ahhhh ok heard of them yes. Was just in that area today......Millbury I'll check it out next time I'm out your way Thanks!

I live way on the coast, south shore. I work in Norwood, so I drove out to get some, 60. They put Bio Bricks to shame. I chop them in half with a hatchet, put in 3 NS and a split on top at 7:30am, like I said, heat until 4pm easy. They don't fall apart or expand into a big mess. They keep thier shape and when they do fall apart they're behave like wood coals, you can rake them to start another batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.