Woodstock Absolute Steel - choosing new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sage5289

Feb 27, 2016
CT
Can’t figure out how to edit the post name- looking at the Absolute Steel .. sorry for confusion....

So I think I may have narrowed down my choice on replacing my older hearthstone, I see nothing but good reviews from Woodstock and am looking at the AS line, i have only burned on a non-cat any advice for a newbie on this stove, how different is a catalytic and is it easy to figure out and get going, I was leaning towards noncat just because of my experience but figure it can’t be that bad to figure out :) I’m setting it up in the living room of 1500 sq ft cape a little drafty old house, heat gets upstairs after a burn has been going, never gets to the kitchen off the side but I’m used to that. Looking for some feedback from those who have used this stove and some reassurance that catalytic stoves aren’t that bad to figure out :) - clearly a newbie here. Thanks in advance ! Tired of restarting my older stove everyday and looking for something that can do an overnight burn !

Last edited:
Easy Peasy! Just follow the directions in the manual. I’d never used one until mine showed up. The basics... light fire with air open and cat closed. Wait for surface temp to get ‘high enough.’ Open the cat. Wait a bit more for it to light up. Close down the air in a few steps. Walk away and forget about it.

The process takes about as long as it takes me to enjoy some coffee in the morning. If the stove is hot/has lots of coals, it’s all but instant.

Are you sure it wasn't your subconscious telling you to get the Ideal? Will the Absolute will heat your space effectively? And yes I too was reluctant about a cat stove. Not any more.

I'm in a similar situation, and considering the Ideal Steel (you may want to too!). I just visited Woodstock this past Friday to check things out in person and it was super cool! Great company and great people. I'm attaching some pics here for fun! One serious suggestion and one opinion:

Serious suggestion: if you can make a decision by this Friday, April 6 (I will be) you will make Woodstock's sale and get a nice discount and some bonus extras (check their site for details). If it's too rushed for you, not worth the saving as it's always worth it to give it good thought and make the right informed decision (I've been mulling this one over for a month or two!)

Opinion: I've never had a cat stove and in fact have only had a wood stove for a few months (a little Jotul, which I will be upgrading). Everyone who has a Woodstock says the cats are super easy to use. When I was there on Friday, they showed me how to do it, and there really is almost nothing to it. Seems to me, very little if any extra work and you burn more of the wood/gasses and as a result burn cleaner with a longer burn time. I'd say if you see a cat stove that works for your situation and you like it, go for it! That's what I'm considering in any case!

Final thought: Woodstock is one of the few companies around where you can call and get someone on the phone, a real, informed person who will spend as long as it takes to help you with no pressure to buy, simply because they stand behind their stoves and have a great business model. Give them a call and they will surely point you in the right direction and offer input. I found Lorin to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. You may want to ask to speak with her.

Good luck!

IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2323.JPG

thanks for the input as I was almost ready to buy for the sale but my current set up ( stove through fireplace) my opening is just an inch to short of clearance so I am back to square one ! May keep ideal steel in mind as it will fit my current set up.. did you happen to see any of the basic models without decals ? Trying to figure out in my mind how they would look ?
Thanks for the input Woodstock has great reviews !

Reactions: KennyK
thanks for the input as I was almost ready to buy for the sale but my current set up ( stove through fireplace) my opening is just an inch to short of clearance so I am back to square one ! May keep ideal steel in mind as it will fit my current set up.. did you happen to see any of the basic models without decals ? Trying to figure out in my mind how they would look ?
Thanks for the input Woodstock has great reviews !

Do you mean that you're just an inch short of being able to fit the rear flue vent to the height of your lintel/fireplace opening? If that's the case, you can definitely fit the Ideal Steel, Progress Hybrid with short legs (but won't get the ash pan with the short legs) and Fireview. If you do a google search for the Ideal Steel and click on images, you can definitely find a lot of images, and can also find some on Woodstock's website and facebook page. You can basically have the stove as simple or ornate as you want it. You also don't need to decide all of that right away when you purchase as they make every stove to order and it will take a month and a half or so until they are finalizing your stove. Again, if you call Woodstock they will talk you through everything with no pressure to buy. Good luck and keep us updated! I will do the same!

Catalytic stoves are easy! You won't have any problem using the stove and it will give you great temperature control; decrease your overall wood usage; and if you have the soapstone inserts, it will give you longer lasting radiant heat. Regarding Woodstock Soapstone Company, I wouldn't have any reservations whatsoever. They provide an excellent level of service; will talk you through the installation process; and if you have a problem, will address it immediately.