Woodstock Fireview - My sickness continues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Okay, I had absolutely no plans on purchasing another stove for a very long time, BUT....

I happened across someone that is selling a Woodstock Fireview, in great shape, for $500. Her is my question; Does it make sense to buy it and replace the Vigilant? I could probably sell the Vigilant for $200-$400. Will the Fireview work well inside a walk-in fireplace? [photo of the fireplace is below]

index.php

Your not sick, I think it would be a good investment if the stove is in good shape. How old is the Fireview? Does it have the rear heat shield? Will you have room for a side loader?

Todd said:
Your not sick, I think it would be a good investment if the stove is in good shape. How old is the Fireview? Does it have the rear heat shield? Will you have room for a side loader?

I do not think it has the rear heat shield. I wouldn't need it for code as the back wall is not a combustible as it is all stone, unless you are mentioning the heat shield for another reason. The stove is nine years old.

I love that room, looks very inviting and I bet it is a good place to spend the winter.

A couple questions I would be asking myself are: How is the Vigilant for heating the room in the swing seasons? How much of the heat from the Vigilant gets to the rest of the house? If the Vigilant is a pussycat to run for most of the heating season, and it is in great running condition with nice long burns, this could be a tough call. OTOH, if the Vigilant is a real PITA in fall and spring and overheating the area, and if it is due for some rebuilding, then the Fireview might be a better fit. For sure with 3 stoves to run, anything that would give me more time between refills would be a blessing.

Love the setting too. I forgot, is there a block-off plate at the damper?

BeGreen said:
A couple questions I would be asking myself are: How is the Vigilant for heating the room in the swing seasons? How much of the heat from the Vigilant gets to the rest of the house? If the Vigilant is a pussycat to run for most of the heating season, and it is in great running condition with nice long burns, this could be a tough call. OTOH, if the Vigilant is a real PITA in fall and spring and overheating the area, and if it is due for some rebuilding, then the Fireview might be a better fit. For sure with 3 stoves to run, anything that would give me more time between refills would be a blessing.

Love the setting too. I forgot, is there a block-off plate at the damper?

Thanks for the great points you brought up. Here are my responses:

How is the Vigilant for heating the room in the swing seasons?
Not bad. During the colder months I place a fan behind the stove to circulate the heat (seem to work better than trying to move the cold air to the stove for some reason). During shoulder season I do not run the fan. I can keep the room between 75-85 degrees during the entire heating season. (we like it warm, probably because we suffered through cold winters before we got the stoves)

How much of the heat from the Vigilant gets to the rest of the house?
-Not much (floor plan is attached). When it is only the Vigilant running you will notice some heat making it's way down the gallery. When the Intrepid and the Vigilant are running we will notice heat circulating between the Kitchen (intrepid stove), main hallway/gallery, Summer Kitchen/Family Room (Vigilant stove), and Dining Room.

If the Vigilant is a pussycat to run for most of the heating season, and it is in great running condition with nice long burns, this could be a tough call.
-And this is when the Vigilant starts to show it's weaknesses. The overnight burn times can be a pain as the air controls are not exactly the greatest. Some mornings I'll have a nice bed of coals, other mornings I'll have nothing. I know the Fireview will solve this with it's longer burn times and better air controls. With the Vigilant I will notice I will stay up later to try to get that last load in in the hopes of a quick morning start. The overnight burns are my main complaint with the Vigilant.

and if it is due for some rebuilding
-It's a great stove, but it could probably use a rebuild.

For sure with 3 stoves to run, anything that would give me more time between refills would be a blessing.
-Good point. The saving grace is that I spend a LOT of time in the room with the Vigilant since I work from home. So, the reload process is almost an excuse to get up and stretch my legs, but I wouldn't mind stretching my legs less...

I forgot, is there a block-off plate at the damper?
-Yes.

Attachments

• floor-plan.gif
    floor-plan.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 689
oldspark said:
I love that room, looks very inviting and I bet it is a good place to spend the winter.

Thanks, and the room does stay pretty toasty. though we are looking forward to the third stove being installed so we have more spots to hang out in during the winter.

Bottom line, with a good cat in it, the Fireview is going to need less refueling and it will burn a whole lot cleaner. It's also a simpler stove to clean and maintain. Go for it. About the only downside if it is in great condition is that I would expect the stove may need a new cat if the stove still has the original 9 yr old unit unless the stove has seen little use.

Hold on to the Vigilant until October. Cleaned up and ready to burn, it should sell quickly in fall for about $400

BeGreen said:
Bottom line, with a good cat in it, the Fireview is going to need less refueling and it will burn a whole lot cleaner. It's also a simpler stove to clean and maintain. Go for it. About the only downside if it is in great condition is that I would expect the stove may need a new cat if the stove still has the original 9 yr old unit unless the stove has seen little use.

Hold on to the Vigilant until October. Cleaned up and ready to burn, it should sell quickly in fall for about $400

The cat was replaced 2-4 years ago. So, I'll look at it when I see it. Cutting down on wood consumption will be an added benefit.

While I'm posting, could someone list out all of the parts that can come off the Fireview to lighten it's ass a bit? How hard is it to remove the top lid and side door?

The top lid lift right off, no bolts or anything holding it. The side door lifts off, just 2 pins holding it in and there are also 4 fire bricks on the floor of the fire box. That will probably lighten up about 100 lbs of the 500.

I was thinking a rear heat shield might keep that back wall from sucking up some of the radiant heat, but I'd try without first and see what happens.

Is there room to use the side loading door on the Fireview? Looks kind a tight if it's sitting all the way inside.

Todd said:
The top lid lift right off, no bolts or anything holding it. The side door lifts off, just 2 pins holding it in and there are also 4 fire bricks on the floor of the fire box. That will probably lighten up about 100 lbs of the 500.

I was thinking a rear heat shield might keep that back wall from sucking up some of the radiant heat, but I'd try without first and see what happens.

Is there room to use the side loading door on the Fireview? Looks kind a tight if it's sitting all the way inside.

I'll keep the heat shield in mind. I haven't had much issue with the stone/masonry absorbing too much heat with the Vigilant, though.

I might have to off-set the stove. Right now the stove has 16" available on each side. What do you think would be the minimal space needed to load the stove properly?

What do you think would be the minimal space needed to load the stove properly?

Looks like the Vigilant is already somewhat offset. Ideally I'd want at least 2" more than the longest log it can take and plenty of room for the door to open fully.

Another install question. Is this an 8" liner all the way up the flue? How tall is the chimney?

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

I'll keep the heat shield in mind. I haven't had much issue with the stone/masonry absorbing too much heat with the Vigilant, though.

I might have to off-set the stove. Right now the stove has 16" available on each side. What do you think would be the minimal space needed to load the stove properly?

I think it would be awkward to load a 16" (or slightly longer) into the side of the stove with only 16" of clearance. Not to mention cleaning out the stove - your shovel needs to be able to reach the far end of the stove and be drawn all the way back - and you will be squatting somewhere basically in front of the stove while doing this? or leaning over the stove? I don't know how skinny you may be, but... So, how much space do you need, I don't know, but my question is how far out could you pull the stove - i.e. can you get at least 1/2 of the door showing from the side? If not it is my opinion that it likely would be a pain in the tail end to load and clean.

I'm sure it could be done - I have about 2' on the right of my stove (I got the left side door) and I just went over there and pretended to load a split through the wall of the stove - I could see doing that. But take off that extra 8" and I don't know - that would be tough.

BeGreen said:
What do you think would be the minimal space needed to load the stove properly?

Looks like the Vigilant is already somewhat offset. Ideally I'd want at least 2" more than the longest log it can take and plenty of room for the door to open fully.

Another install question. Is this an 8" liner all the way up the flue? How tall is the chimney?

Chimney is about 20' and the 8" pipe tapers into a 6" liner. I got lucky on that one.

And I remeasured. it is 15" of space to the left and 16" to the right.

16" is too tight imo unless you can move it out some. What about replacing the Intrepid with the Fireview?

Turn the Fireview sideways in the fireplace. :lol:

Okay, the stove has been sold. Which is for the best as the loading clearance may have been an issue without some additional testing.

Browning, my first thought was how you were going to load that stove. Also, realize the controls would be further back than the firebox door and it might be difficult to tell exactly where the draft setting would be. Then comes the time for cleaning ashes. Now if you could set the stove out a foot or two then it would certainly be great. Good luck on the install.

Off track a bit here . . . I'm guessing the old soda acid extinguisher is just for ambiance and not for use in case of a fire? . . . I hope . . . seeing as they have been phased out since 1969 and would most likely not work by this point anyways.

firefighterjake said:
Off track a bit here . . . I'm guessing the old soda acid extinguisher is just for ambiance and not for use in case of a fire? . . . I hope . . . seeing as they have been phased out since 1969 and would most likely not work by this point anyways.

WHAT?! We were told they were just as good as current extinguishers?!

I kid. They are empty. Ambiance only.

BrowningBAR said:
firefighterjake said:

WHAT?! We were told they were just as good as current extinguishers?!

I kid. They are empty. Ambiance only.

HehHeh . . . I kind of thought so . . . but once in a blue moon when I'm teaching a fire extinguisher class I run across some old duffer who has one of these in his garage or basement . . . and he fully expects them to work in case there is a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.