Woodstock Ideal Steel or Jotul F55?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
IMG_0211.JPG
I am looking to replace my Heritage stove at the end of the heating season. I can't decide between these two stoves. I need a ten hour burn time (without refilling the stove) and a three cubic foot firebox to handle central Wisconsin winters. Basement is finished. Heating approx 1900 sq. ft. Stove will located in a living room area. Thanks to everyone. Very much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched from a hearthstone as well.

I looked hard at the 55. A really nice looking stove, and jotul puts out great products. I really don't like the looks of the ideal steel. Just not for me. That said, I switched from a non-cat to a cat and am happy I made the switch. Just much more control. Woodstock seems to put out a good product and has good customer service.

If your stove room tends to overheat easily, I would Definitely go with a cat stove.

I switched from a hearthstone as well.

I looked hard at the 55. A really nice looking stove, and jotul puts out great products. I really don't like the looks of the ideal steel. Just not for me. That said, I switched from a non-cat to a cat and am happy I made the switch. Just much more control. Woodstock seems to put out a good product and has good customer service.

If your stove room tends to overheat easily, I would Definitely go with a cat stove.
What cat stove did you buy?

Blaze King Ashford

You won't go wrong with either the F 55 or the Ideal Steel. If you're looking for the most performance/ heating, I would seriously consider the Woodstock. After switching from a cat stove to a non-cat, I have noticed a decline in overall heat. The cat in the IS should give you more heat for a longer period.

The F55 was on my list when I went stove shopping, I chose the IS, just liked the long burn times users were reporting and I like Woostock. Unfortunately the IS was 1/2 inch too big to fit in my fireplace so I went with the PH. Happy with it but still wished the IS would have worked out.

The F55 was on my list when I went stove shopping, I chose the IS, just liked the long burn times users were reporting and I like Woostock. Unfortunately the IS was 1/2 inch too big to fit in my fireplace so I went with the PH. Happy with it but still wished the IS would have worked out.
The progress will work. I like the side loading door on it. The custom artwork and welded steel firebox appeals more to me. Both look like great stoves.

Blaze King Ashford
The Ashford is a nice stove and I have a local dealer, however we would like to view a fire now and then. I will need to see one actually burning.

Unfortunately the IS was 1/2 inch too big to fit in my fireplace
I've got that problem with the Absolute, with the ash pan...door won't quite open. If I have to remove tiles from the hearth, so be it..It WILL fit. >>

Reactions: weatherguy
I have the f55 and certainly enjoy it for my application. Love the simplicity. Depending on how you define burn time 10 hours of steady heat hasnt been my experience. Plenty of coals for a relight at 10 or 12 hours....yes indeed.

In trying to determine useable heat for my application what I haven't been able to find out on the IS for example is at say hour 10 or 12 is the stove top temp 100 degrees or 400 degrees. I hear of long burn times but don't quite understand is the btu (relative to STT) output at the last few hours of the "burn".

Ideal Steel hands down, cat will let you burn long and low and give you a noticeable efficiency boost (less wood, less work) over the Jotul.
Not that the Jotul is a bad stove but the Woodstock has much more to offer (except for I like the looks of the Jotul better).

Reactions: Highbeam
Ideal Steel hands down, cat will let you burn long and low and give you a noticeable efficiency boost (less wood, less work) over the Jotul.
Not that the Jotul is a bad stove but the Woodstock has much more to offer (except for I like the looks of the Jotul better).
I think I will have to give the Blaze King Ashford 30 a look as well.

Reactions: lsucet and Highbeam
I will give the Ashford the most difficult test first. The wife approval test. Without that, it's a no-go.

I will give the Ashford the most difficult test first. The wife approval test. Without that, it's a no-go.
Sometimes you just have to tell 'em, "Picking a house heater is a man's job...get back." ;) ;lol

Last edited:
Ashford is a pretty wife friendly stove. Mine loves that it burns so long she never has to touch it even when I work late. The cast over steel look is nice too. She just turns it up or down for comfort but mostly let’s it cruise on low since our living room/kitchen stays in the mid 70s on low even when really cold.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Ashford is a pretty wife friendly stove. Mine loves that it burns so long she never has to touch it even when I work late. The cast over steel look is nice too. She just turns it up or down for comfort but mostly let’s it cruise on low since our living room/kitchen stays in the mid 70s on low even when really cold.
How many square ft are you heating? It gets -26 here how cold does it get there? Does the Ashford need a rear heat shield? I did not see one one thier website. How do you clean your chimney? I do have a local BK dealer to do the install if I go with the Ashford. My insurance company requires that. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

How many square ft are you heating? It gets -26 here how cold does it get there? Does the Ashford need a rear heat shield? I did not see one one thier website. How do you clean your chimney? I do have a local BK dealer to do the install if I go with the Ashford. My insurance company requires that. Thanks for your time and knowledge.

I have the progress hybrid which I think has similar performance stats to the IS. I may be wrong on that...

I’ve seen -30some degrees here and the stove worked fine, but required some extra loading... the house temps will fall into the low 60s or high 50s by wake-up time when it’s exceedingly cold. Generally speaking, a packed load will have inches of coals 10 hours in and will still be putting out meaningful heat. Recently, we’ve been running 20-35 degrees outside. Two 1/2 to 3/4 loads a day and the house is running 68-75 degrees. Mornings are a bit lower. House... 1800ft, open plan, well insulated. 2.5 cords used so far this season.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I have the progress hybrid which I think has similar performance stats to the IS. I may be wrong on that...

I’ve seen -30some degrees here and the stove worked fine, but required some extra loading... the house temps will fall into the low 60s or high 50s by wake-up time when it’s exceedingly cold. Generally speaking, a packed load will have inches of coals 10 hours in and will still be putting out meaningful heat. Recently, we’ve been running 20-35 degrees outside. Two 1/2 to 3/4 loads a day and the house is running 68-75 degrees. Mornings are a bit lower. House... 1800ft, open plan, well insulated. 2.5 cords used so far this season.
Thank you for your reply. Have you had any problems with your Woodstock? Would you buy another one? If so what model?

Just a small issue when I got it. One phone call and Woodstock fixed the issue instantly. I’d buy the same model again. If I weren’t happy with Woodstock, I’d dig deep into blaze king models. BK owners seem to swear by them.

Out of curiosity, I checked the specs on the IS... rated for a lower max btu output, but it has a larger firebox. Both suggest they can manage the same size house, making me wonder if the IS keeps a more constant temp for a longer time and the PH hits a higher temp. Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to address that. Regardless, it works and looks great, so I wouldn’t change unless I had to.

I too had a heritage for 30 cords and upgraded to a proper cat stove for longer burns. I could get 8-10 hours just barely from the heritage but in the same house get 24 hours from my cat stove. You gave two options, of those get the IS. If you are willing to look at other brands you really must consider the bk offerings. 30 hours between reloads with hardwoods. Think about that. Once a day. You load at night and walk right past it in the morning as you leave for work. Come home and it’s still hot. Then, sometime later that night you can load her up.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/faq/
#8 Can I complain and/or praise/pump my particular stove?

Of course! However, it must be in a proportional manner and not as a "sales pitch".
What this means is that you and every other purchaser has a right to place a rating/review on our special section at:
http://www.hearth.com/talk/ratings.php

However, quoted from our original forum rules, please note:
"It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it (and, of course, if you do!)."

The reasoning is simple - if a single member has 200 posts complaining about a certain product or brand, it tends to slant the forum in a direction which may not be accurate. However, if 20 members review their stove in our ratings sections and have poor experiences, that is likely to mean a lot more. The same goes for positive reviews and posts. If a member starts a thread saying "Do you like your Upland Stove?", you are certainly free to answer in the affirmative and point to the stove review you posted. If they ask about the details how you run your Upland Stove, you should feel free to share. This is all educational as opposed to a sales pitch.

Reactions: Mark8 and jotulguy