Woodstock out of stock on Progress Hybrid Catalytic Combustor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you're worried about the heat from the open bypass... you might be able to just take out the cat and close the bypass.

The longer air path through the cat channel will extract more heat

You could always askView attachment 199664 Woodstock
I bet it voids the warranty to run it this way.

They don't do it with smaller cats. The PH cat looks custom and Woodstock is the only supplier. Looks like a delay in the production run.

Sent an email into Woodstock to see when they will be back in stock.
I was going to call today but just to busy at work and forgot once i got home. Your bet i'm calling tomorrow

Not to mention federal law right?
Haha!
I'm not too concerned with that... but these stoves are designed around their combustion system, omit the heart of the stove and I'd expect to have problems. Not worth the risk, and I'm absolutely positive Woodstock wouldn't be ok with it.

I just ordered my catalyst, but a month back ordered but I pre-paid so soon as they come in it will be shipped out. Now I want to clean the other one but I'm looking for information about something with vinegar thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: fespo
I put in my order this past week. They said that it could be a month or so before the new catalytic combustors are available.

Does anyone know what precious metals are used to coat the cat for this stove? Palladium prices are beginning to skyrocket. Other rare earth metals are found in places like China and Russia. I wonder if there is a supply problem.

The steel cat in my PH doesn't fall apart (from 2013) but also doesn't really increase the stove top temps when it's engaged either. So figure 2-3 years on that one too. Time to order one up.

This was my experience in my steel cat Fireview as well. The replacement looks like a refurb. Haven't used it yet.

Does anyone know what precious metals are used to coat the cat for this stove? Palladium prices are beginning to skyrocket. Other rare earth metals are found in places like China and Russia. I wonder if there is a supply problem.

No supply problem. It's just the speculative nature of precious metals. People get nervous about all the saber rattling, oil disruptions, hurricanes, etc. and buy gold. Then the other metals go up in sympathy. Eventually, tensions ease and metals go back down again. I expect the long-term trend of precious metals for catalysts will eventually go down as soon as electric cars displace gas cars in significant numbers. Electric cars require different metals.

I would also think that the manufacturers of catalysts would be smart enough to hedge their precious metals prices so they can have a constant supply at a predictable price. It only adds a small amount of cost for a large amount of predictability.

Speaking of precious metals, has anyone tried hanging their platinum wedding ring on a stainless steel wire inside their woodstove?

Don't let your wife see you do this.

Can't do it... my wife stole my wedding ring and hocked it for a bigger diamond

Last edited:
Can't do it...my wife stole my wedding ring and hocked it for a bigger diamond

You - have - got - to - be - kidding!

And you're still married?