Woodstock's new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks for the good review of the Jotul F602 Dustin . That seconds what begreen had mentioned . With such a small space requiring a small stove I know that I won't get long burn times but I'm hoping that with good insulation it won't be a big issue . Joyboy I do have electricity in the small camp and after reading a number of older posts on the topic of heating a small space, begreen made a very good point . His suggestion of having a small propane heater or even an electric space heater as a primary heat source and then using a small wood stove as a secondary source of heat makes a lot of sense to me . I could burn the wood stove as long as I wanted too and then if the overnight temps dropped to low and I was to lazy to reload the stove in the middle of the night, the electric heat could take over till morning , Even though I have plenty of wood on the property and plan to use the small cabin for occasional wintertime use , a wood stove as a sole source of heat doesn't stack up very well . I am thinking a cheap electric baseboard heater on a thermostat along with the Jotul F602 or similar stove would be just the ticket . There are occasional power outages there and what's a small cabin without a wood stove in the winter time ?
Thanks again .............

Bob
PS - One other thought , the cabin will be frigid cold when we first get there a lot of the time and having both a wood stove and the electric heat will do well to get the place up to a comfortable temp .... ( I'm still curious about the little Survivor cat stove) .

When someone is talking woodstoves and they mention the word camp and up north I automatically think of an ice cold building. You def want a stove on the +60,000 btu out put to warm the place up, lots of things will be absorbing / robbing the heat for the few hours the stove is running, after that you can idle it down some depending on insulation and weather.

Reactions: ddddddden
My dad's Progress Hybrid is very nice, but I think it's less efficient and the cat gets covered in ash needing cleaned every couple weeks. The glass stays extremely clean even on low burns though, so that's a plus. He definitely cannot turn it down like I can turn down my BK. Just my observations!
How do you clean the cat every month if you are burning 24/7? How do guys do that? Shut the stove Down in The middle of winter every month? Just asking.

How do you clean the cat every month if you are burning 24/7? How do guys do that? Shut the stove Down in The middle of winter every month? Just asking.

I can't speak for the Progress, but the Ideal Steel can have the cat cleaned very quickly while the stove is still warm. Of course welding gloves are good for doing this. It's as simple as flipping the lid up and pulling off a deflector plate. You could easily do this during the coaling stage.

I can't speak for the Progress, but the Ideal Steel can have the cat cleaned very quickly while the stove is still warm. Of course welding gloves are good for doing this. It's as simple as flipping the lid up and pulling off a deflector plate. You could easily do this during the coaling stage.
Thanks for your reply. How do you like your Ideal Steel? How many square ft are you heating? I am looking at one myself.

After years of walking into a remote 24'X24' true log cabin in freeeeeeezing weather I'd say. First and foremost. Bring lotsa clothes if you plan on waiting for a wood stove to heat the joint! Don't fear getting a plenty big stove. For example. One night it was -38F outdoors. -26F indoors when we walked in the door. It was only 46F indoors after 6hrs of pushing the old VC till it glowed! The look on my wifes face upon arrival that night was.... Priceless;lol

With a 1.15 cu ft capacity producing 15,332-27,294 BTU/hr it is going to need fairly frequent reloading. It's a clean burner, but BK has stoves that will deliver much lower btus/hr if that is a requirement. If there's no other heat, for a camp I would look at an inexpensive 2 cu ft stove like the True North TN20 if the place is in the 500-900 sq ft range.

The tn10 could be an option with a cabin this small too. For a tiny certified woodstove with decent clearances.

Some googling will find them. I now navigate both sites. Pretty clear blaze king and Woodstock divide.

That's not the reason for the divide. :)

Well what is then?

Everyone knows PE's are the best. So I don't see why anyone would sweat a little BK vs Woodstock anyways?

The TN10 is tiny at .8cu ft. I think an ice cold cabin is going to need more firepower to warm it up unless other heat supplements it. In True North I'd put in the TN20 and just run less wood in it during milder weather.

The other thing about this 320 sq. Ft. camp is that it has low ceilings . It will definitely be cold when we get there . I was hoping to find a small footprint stove with small clearances to combustibles that could keep the place warm along with maybe a little help from an electric heater . I realize that I am fighting the battle of going there for a weekend and not having it really warm up until it's time to go . If it is -20 f I doubt that I will be there but who knows ? A 2.0 c.f. stove takes up a fair amount of floor space even with reducing clearances . I was kind of sold on the Jotul F602 or something similar , but a steel stove might be better to heat up quicker . What about the Englander 17vl ?

If low clearances are an issue, look at the Englander Madison. I think it's 18 inches on the sides and like 8 from the rear. You only need ember / spark protection on the floor too. Big firebox and non cat. 6-8 hour reloads on mine.

tapatalk_1479256581484.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The TN10 is tiny at .8cu ft. I think an ice cold cabin is going to need more firepower to warm it up unless other heat supplements it. In True North I'd put in the TN20 and just run less wood in it during milder weather.

I hear that. There's just something I really like about that tiny little Tn10. I must admit to really wanting one myself. But I have absolutely no use for one. Lol.

Last edited:
;)
Well what is then?

Everyone knows PE's are the best. So I don't see why anyone would sweat a little BK vs Woodstock anyways?
Long ago. . .
In a galaxy not so far away. . .
(Cue the trumpets)
Stove Wars

Actually, the original, and somewhat persistent war, though more genteel of late, is Cat vs. Non-Cat. Although the BK Borg use Alien Technology and Woodstock Elves use Magic, they are natural allies. Both are Defenders of the Cat.

The divide of which you speak is something entirely different. IIRC, basically, some folks objected when Craig decided to run ads to cover the expenses of this site, into which he has clearly put a lot of time and effort, and maybe get a lil' somethin' for his retirement. Personally, although we all contribute some content, I appreciate what he and his crew have done in providing and organizing this space, and I hope he is enjoying his "retirement.";)

Last edited:
Ahhh. Silliness in other words.

I love this place. I've learned so much. A real great community here.

We have a day in the upper 50s he'll let it go out and clean it. He was just telling me Saturday morning that he has not been having that problem as much this year because he has been letting the stove run hot for a bit after reloading and not shutting her down so fast.

Thanks for your reply. How do you like your Ideal Steel? How many square ft are you heating? I am looking at one myself.

Hi,
I love the stove. It is overkill for my house at about 1800 sqft. The nice thing is that even though it is oversized it is well mannered. You can dial it way down so it doesn't overheat the place. The fire power is there when you need it too.

My dad's Progress Hybrid is very nice, but I think it's less efficient and the cat gets covered in ash needing cleaned every couple weeks. The glass stays extremely clean even on low burns though, so that's a plus. He definitely cannot turn it down like I can turn down my BK. Just my observations!
Does your dad have a flue damper? Over on the "other" site a couple of owners have been able to dial the Progress down a lot better with a damper rather than just the air control. Just a suggestion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Does your dad have a flue damper? Over on the "other" site a couple of owners have been able to dial the Progress down a lot better with a damper rather than just the air control. Just a suggestion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes, he does. He had it installed because his stack is over 25'. I don't think he uses it much though. I will read some on the other site, but my suggestion to him was to let the stove do its work and not mess with it unless he had the air completely shut on the stove and wanted to back it down even more.

Reactions: chance04
Woodstock's ash trays actually work too, which is nice.
I can’t help but assume this is based on an issue I had with the two Ashford 30.1’s I purchased three years ago. There was an issue with a few Ashford 30.1’s going out the door with the old 30.0 ash pan drawer, which was resolved by BK sending me new trays. These trays were fully safety tested, but still had a bit of an issue with spilling ash out the back, and so BK went above and beyond to design a new tray to retrofit stoves they had already shipped, which has completely resolved this issue.

So, there’s apparently an incorrect rumor or assumption out there, that BK ash trays don’t work, but it was really an issue with a very small number of stoves, shipped at a specific point in time, and was quickly resolved.

I was kind of sold on the Jotul F602 or something similar , but a steel stove might be better to heat up quicker . What about the Englander 17vl ?
I believe there was a gentleman either last year or the year before that bought an Englander 17vl for his small cabin, I want to say it was in upstate NY, anyway he had a huge issue with trying to warm the place up, something like 10hrs + just to break the 50's which if your only there for 2 days a week it may make an issue with comfort.