Woodstocks on sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
If anyone is considering a cat stove or a soapstone stove there is a special going on at woodstock. 400$ off or about 15%.

2319$ for the fireview which is an excellent stove according to owners here on the hearth. Compare to the heritage for 3000$.

Their site has also been jazzed up a bit with nice photos of the fireview internals including cat cleaning.

I've always been unimpressed with the rear clearances of the fireview at 18" min compared to the competition with 4-7 inch rear clearances but we must also consider that without a front door, this stove has an 8" front clearance so the hearth pad ends up being pretty similar to all stoves.

The wife would kill me if I swapped out the heritage but since I bought it for a measly 2000$ I could almost turn a profit.

Come on Highbeam, you know you want to take the plunge. The wife will get over it in time. :lol: Best to sell your H/S before it gets too old and loses value.

I had Woodstock send me the brochure's and DVD. That Fireview looks very small beside the owner in the pics. Do you think it is a better, more efficient stove compared to the Heritage or other midsized stoves?

Its hard to compare to a HearthStone (as I don't have one), but I've had my Woodstock Fireview burning for 3 weeks now and I'm really happy with it. It got up to 60 degrees here last Sunday, so I let it go out after burning continuously for 2 weeks and cleaned it out - probably could have gone another week before it really had to be cleaned (ashes removed). I haven't yet looked at the cat. During this time the furnace for the upstairs did not come on, and we were plenty warm.

Efficiency. I think that it has a big advantage at modest heat output. When conventional stoves must maintain a fairly high temp to burn cleanly, this stove can effectively and cleanly convert wood into heat at much lower temps. This means not much heat is going up the flue. In this mode true 12+ hour burn times are normal. Let me stress that, normal. Its relative efficiency advantage at higher heat outputs is not as great, when its 0 degrees out I'm burning it hotter and reloading more often (6 hours). It still works fine, but it does take more wood to make more heat. Bottom line - I'm estimating my abbreviated season's use of wood to only be 2 cords or so. This is much less than my old stove, which didn't burn 24/7 anyway because it was a pain in the ass to try and my wife didn't like to reload it while I was at work. She's OK for reloading this one, though - which leads to...

Convenience. It's wicked easy to burn this all the time. Even if its been more than 12 hours since the last load (my longest refuel interval so far is 16) - just open the door and fling in more wood. Don't bother farting around with kindling, or special stacking procedures, or arcane coal-raking rituals. Just throw in full sized splits, close the door and wait. In 15 minutes or so you'll have a nice fire going. The big mass of hot soapstone is like a thermal flywheel, it just gets things going again in short order. The controls for the cat are different, but don't take more time than for a conventional stove. In terms of attention cycles needed this thing is fantastic; it doesn't require much attention at all. But you'll be paying attention, because of....

Comfort. Its heat output is constant, even, and gentle. You can sit next to it and not be roasted. The (pet) cat has lost all muscle tone from laying in front of it constantly. Poor thing. It (the stove) is also a handsome piece of furniture.

Quality. Heavy, solid, well-built. Looks like it'll last a very long time.

Minuses? - the side load is different, I think its better. The standard door handle requires a glove; probably good for me as I haven't burned myself yet this season. The firebox isn't very big, but it doesn't need to be either. I haven't used it long enough to know firsthand how well the cat lasts, others say maybe 3 seasons for a $120 part - doesn't seem bad.

I'm sold on catalytics. If you really need huge amounts of heat, maybe look at the big Blaze King instead.

Good luck!

How low must the stove temperature be for a 12 hour burn time? Is creosote/clogging the catalyst a problem at the low temperature?

I've badly wanted to buy a Fireview for a few months but my significant other doesn't think it would be that much better than our Defiant Encore (which I initially had a hard time using but am getting used to. I don't think a 12 hour burn time would be possible with our stove, though.) I've requested the dvd for the Fireview.

I wonder why Woodstock doesn't make a larger stove??? The FV sounds very nice, but I'm sure they've lost a lot of sales because they don't have a larger stove...

You don't directly set temperature, you set airflow. A 12 hour burn is the result of a low air setting. It's not tricky, doesn't require readjustment, and provides plenty of heat for outside temps over 20 or so. At these low settings the stove almost seems to digest wood, just some dull red coals visible, if anything. But its absolutely clean; go outside to look at the chimney and all you'll see is an occasional puff of white water vapor.

The heat output is not completely uniform of course, no stove is during a burn cycle. Stovetop temperature might be over 400 for the first 6 or 7 hours, drop to the 300's for a few hours, then in the 200's after. So its not providing lots of heat at the end of the cycle, but is still kicking out some heat; and is very easy to relight. At the end of its burn cycle pretty much all of the volatiles are gone from the fuel charge anyway, just coals left - so no creosote at this stage of the burn. Basically the cat has burned everything available in terms of creosote forming smoke, and that's why the temps finally fall.

Wet1 said:
I wonder why Woodstock doesn't make a larger stove??? The FV sounds very nice, but I'm sure they've lost a lot of sales because they don't have a larger stove...

My wish is that either Blaze King makes a soapstone stove or Woodstock makes a 4cu. ft stove. I know there is the Equinox out there but I want a cat.

mobetter, we thought the same thing when we saw the stove. How on earth would that little thing ever heat this place? Well, it does much better than our old stove using less wood! It is amazing how much heat you can get from that little thing.

rickw, good post! And yes, you will no doubt use much less wood with this stove. The cat. should also last much longer than 3 years too.

Sophie, as long as you have good seasoned wood, there is no creosote problem. We began using our Fireview in September 2007. At the end of the season....no creosote! We used to clean our chimney a few times each season but not any more!

What is even more amazing is when you damper that stove down for a slow burn, say, overnight. Late at night you get up for one reason or another and decide to check the stove. What?! You can't even see a red coal in the stove. Yet, looking at the temperature gauge on the top you see it is 400-450 degrees. With that, it would seem there would be a creosote problem for sure...but there is not. The flue temperature is usually around 250-300 (exterior).

So you want to see flame. This thing can give you a beautiful flame. Load it up and after engaging the cat., dial the draft down to 1. You may have to go lower; Woodstock says go in 1/8" increments, but suddenly it appears that all flame rises to the top and turns a darker color. It then will just dance along the top and is a beautiful sight. So, you can have the best of both worlds.

One of the things I like especially with this stove is that we do not have to burn the high temperatures all the time. You can read post after post on this forum with the beginning of the heating season and people are talking about their stoves cooking at 500-700 degrees....and the outdoor temperature is 40-50. Good Lord! I don't want that much heat when it is not needed.

Wet1 said:

I agree, but when I asked them this question they told me they actually get more requests for smaller stoves. I think they want to stay a small company, don't want to get too big and lose quality.

A larger stove might have a greater minimum burn rate, so it would probably not work so well on the shoulder seasons. It would probably also need an 8 inch flue, which again kicks up the minimum wood consumption. The current design is a nice balance.

This topic keeps coming up - "That thing is too small!" I think its time for a thread to poll Woodstock owners on house size, location, reload interval, and desire for a larger stove.

rickw said:
A larger stove might have a greater minimum burn rate, so it would probably not work so well on the shoulder seasons. It would probably also need an 8 inch flue, which again kicks up the minimum wood consumption. The current design is a nice balance.

This topic keeps coming up - "That thing is too small!" I think its time for a thread to poll Woodstock owners on house size, location, reload interval, and desire for a larger stove.

I would also like to know how large of area those that own the Fireview are heating. I see there are some owners from MI and WI and they get a little colder than my area. My intallation would be in an ~ 1000 s.f. room with cathdral ceilings ~ 18ft. to peak. This room is always colder in Winter and hotter in the Summer. The house was built in early 2000 and is pretty tight and well insulated. We spend 95% of our waking hours in this area, I would think the Fireview would be a fine fit for our needs. I would put an OAK into the crawlspace that is vented (vents are all closed and insulated now) It would be nice to only see the propane truck every 2 to 3 years instead of twice a year (1000 gal. tank)

This stove a fireview (research soapstone stoves and this is a remake lookalike of a stove from the old country)

I love it
Hard to find fault with the cat too burns surreal when done right very entertaining emits the radiant heatwave similar to that of our own bodies so cozy up and enjoy that smooth soft heat

I freted for ever deciding to buy one of these , a lot of money and one could get a new furnance for the price.

Its beautiful efficient does use smaller n less wood more economic and better than a hearthstone because it has more soapstone
Read up on soapstone, some of the europeans have that not only for heat but cooling properties albeit it is expensive. Should last forever except the cat but for 100$ every 3 years so what. Its environmentaly friendly all around and polictically correct as green.

Make sure to use dry seasoned wood for best results but any woodburning bozo should have his or her head examined for burning green...wood that is, as green wood defeats the purpose and effect/affect..plan ahead, season and use smaller split wood for more turbulence (here lies the key) and you have it all.

This is my fourth stove in 30 years and it is the best. By soft heat I mean the radiant wavelength emitted and its that which makes it so cozy. Holds the heat and coals forever way longer than any cast iron and you just owe it to to yourself to experience the pride of ownership.

Keep the installation as recommended,,add a direct outside air supply to stops drafts , dont let the ash build up to far , experiment with the front to back burn, use cermaic stove top cleaner on the glass to clean when necessary for that brand new look.

I use bigger pieces when its colder , load it three times a day 7am 4pm 11pm works ok
Warmer weather burn from 11 pm to 4 pm small load then full at 11 adjust to warmth for overnight.
With seasoned wood there is no creosote nothing but fines that a shop vac handles under routine maintainence.The house is a small cape and center chimney with the correct 6" liner installed in the center fireplace with a direct air supply vented from the rear of the stove down throught he fireplace cleanout to the basement,,very little drafts..

This stove works great,,,I put a heat shield on my exit pipe and the fireplace mantel wood isnt even hot to touch.
Hard to approach an overburn and I have tried ,,use the their stove top thermometer as your guide.

Now if they can get the efficientcy rating up higher it would be sweet so a buy would mean a tax break.

Great post Combustor,

How long of splits do you use for front to back burns? And how long would you recommend I cut my lengths to?

I am cutting now at 16-18" lengths, in anticipation of my new Fireview this Spring/Summer

mobetter said:

Great post Combustor,

How long of splits do you use for front to back burns? And how long would you recommend I cut my lengths to?

I am cutting now at 16-18" lengths, in anticipation of my new Fireview this Spring/Summer

16" fits excellent. You can squeeze 18" in if you put the shorter splits in the bottom. Then put the longer 18" in the middle or top. Still, we are cutting all of our wood at 16" now as it is the ideal length.

He Combuster, welcome to the forum. That was an excellent post.

OMG PRAISE THE LORD HOPE THE CREEK DONT RISE USE 16" AND AS STATED BEFORE A BIRCH UP FRONT,,

WHEN I PICKED MY STOVE UP AT THE FACTORY I HAD A CHANCE TO BS WITH R&D;PEOPLE-LEAN-KNESS AND AFTER LOOKING AT THEIR FRANKEN-STOVE SETUP IN THE LAB I SAW THE WOOD BOX WITH PERFECT SIZE WOOD , MY BENEFIT , SMALLER WAS BETTER AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE THE TUBULENCE CAUSED FOR A BETTER BURN OF DRY WOOD

NOW HOW MANY OF US ARE SO CRAZY TO ACTUALLY MEASURE THE MOISTURE CONTENT OF THEIR WOOD ? MYSELF , I JUST GIVE A KISS FROM MY LIPS ON THE WAY IN INORDER FOR ME TO GAUGE HOW MUCH HISS TO EXPECT ( DONT YOU JUST HATE THE HISS ?)

THE STOVE SET UP IS A NORMAL ONE 24" INCHES OF SMOKE PIPE TO THE TEE OF THE LINER.
THE AIR SUPPLY CONNECTION COMES FROM THE REAR OF THE STOVE TO THE ASH CLEANOUT DOOR DROP DOWN THAT I REMOVED AND STUFFED A DRYER VENT DOWN TO THE BASEMENT,,(ALUMINUM FLEX PIPE AT LOWES OR HOME DEPOT) ,,REALLY QUITE SIMPLE ,AND CONNECT TO THE REAR OF THE STOVE ,,YOU LL NEED TO HAVE THAT ACCESSORY TO ADD TO THE REAR OF THE STOVE TO DO THIS ,,THE FACTORY WILL KNOW WHAT PART THAT IS, ALSO I INSTALLED THE REAR HEAT SHIELD,,,SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT BEFORE JUST TOOK IT FOR GRANTED ....

THE WEATHER LATELY HAS BEEN 60 DURING THE DAY SO I VE REIGNITED WITH KINDLING AT 5-6 PM USE SMALL BURN TO BRING STONE UP TO TEMP WITH THE COMBUSTOR HANDLE DOWN AND CLOSING WHEN THE TEMP SHOWS ON THE THERMOMETER AS SUPPLY HIT S THE BLACK TO WHITE LINE CLOSE IT ENJOY TILL AN HOUR BEFORE RETIRING AND LOAD FOR THE NIGHT MY SETTING NOW IS 3/4 AT BEST AND LET IT GO TILL NEXT DAY AT 5 PM THIS IS SUPER FOR ME TO SAY THE LEAST ONE LOAD OF WOOD SPLIT SMALL ( 8" PIECES SPLIT 5-6 WAYS) WE ARENT BEING DRIVEN OUT OF THE HOUSE AT NIGHT WE CAN OPEN WINDOWS A CRACK IN THE BEDROOMS FOR SWEET SPRINGTIME AIR EXCHANGE NO BUGS YET SORTA LIKE PREPEEPERS AIR (IF YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS)....A GREAT NIGHTS SLEEP RIGHT UP THERE WITH SPRING SKIING

DID YOU CLEAN THE CERAMIC GLASS YET ? BET YOU LIKED THAT RESULT!

Good info, but PLEASE STOP SHOUTING. It makes my eyes cross. :-S

Cool it, Combustor. Stop shouting and try normal typing. I can't read through all that yelling.

Sorry

I wasnt aware that caps meant yelling I was trying to make it easier to read for every one.....thats all

COMBUSTOR said:
Sorry

I wasnt aware that caps meant yelling I was trying to make it easier to read for every one.....thats all

No prob. If you're new to the Internets, it isn't obvious at all.

It doesn't mean yelling, it just feels like it when you read it.

Could you repost that stuff in normal type? You have interesting things to say, but I literally can't read it in all caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.