Woodstove clearances and inspections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerseybowhunter

May 22, 2019
New jersey
Well before I stone the wall and hearth I just wanted to make sure everything is correct, the local building inspectors office has been useless as they can’t answer any questions. I have a pleasant hearth 1800sqft woodstove with a rear heat shield and blower. I built the wall with sheet metal against the studs then using 1/2 hardybacker spaced 1” off the studs and 1” gap at the top and bottom. The stove calls for 12” clearance to the corners to cumbustables, I have 6” to the hardybacker now. Also I wired an outlet in the corner behind the stove for the blower. I plan on doing a stone veneer on the walls and slate for the floor pad. Anything I should change now that might not pass inspection? Anything special I need to do with the outlet? I believe the outlet is over the 12” clearance

We can't say whether the local inspector will pass this or not. The manual does not specify a permissible clearance reduction. What is does say is:
If noncombustible materials have been installed on the walls, obtain the minimum clearances from either the manufacturer of these materials or the local building inspectors office.
If the inspector signs off on it or if you can get an ok in writing from Pleasant Hearth then it should be ok. Make sure the hearth also has at least the required R=.893 insulation value. Slate is not a good insulator.

I would phrase the question to pleasant hearth like this.... Can the pleasant hearth 1800sq ft stove with rear heat shield reduce its clearance from 12" to 6" while using an approved nfpa non combustible wall shield on 1" spacers, a true 2/3 reduction would be 4" btw.

The answer may not be what you want to hear since the general cookie cutter clearance from budget brand stoves is to start off as a non - tested stove @ the nfpa minimum 36" and then add a rear heat shield and qualify to reduce the clearance by 2/3 (down to 12") without spending any money on actual testing, then use the old defaults of is your using single wall black pipe for exhaust the minimum distance unshielded is 18" which would kick the stove out from the wall, or shielded / dvl double wall down to 6" which is less then the what the back of the heat shield on the stove body can be set at.

I would phrase the question to pleasant hearth like this.... Can the pleasant hearth 1800sq ft stove with rear heat shield reduce its corner clearance from 12" to 6" while using an approved nfpa noncombustible wall shield on 1" spacers.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I emailed them and this is the lovely reply I got back from them

Attachments

• 21F25632-3237-453B-B978-82686811AEFC.png
    21F25632-3237-453B-B978-82686811AEFC.png
    333.4 KB · Views: 199
In other words, no variation from the manual permitted.