woodstove or insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beveryda

Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey
Hello. I have recently started looking for a woodstove for my house. I have a small fireplace which I currently do not use. It seems to be wood fireplace originally, but was converted to gas at some point.
I was looking to put a Lopi Answer woodstove in the fireplace, but one of the dealers told me the same Lopi Answer insert is better for heating.

For installing or placing in an existing fireplace, is one better than the other? (Stove Vs. Insert)

I'm a newbie at this, any advise is appreciated!

I personally think a woodstove with a blower is just as effective as any insert. Prolly even better.
If you install a freestanding stove inside a fireplace without the blower you can fugettabout heating your "whole house".

i have 2 fire places one has an insert one has a stove the stove is 4x smaller.the stove heat is better.i have had nothing but problems with this little stove,but this year its fixed,trust me i was rooting for the insert it cost 4x more.but there is nothing like radiant heat.every stove place i have been in the salesman says the same thing 55,000 btu's is 55,000 btu's well not in my house and i dont use a blower for the stove but i have high doorways,and the heat travels in the house better.

I went shopping last spring for a stove but bought an insert instead. This was for two related reasons. First, since the stove would sit in front of the fireplace I'd need a fairly extensive hearth rework. Secondly, I would have lost precious floor space as it's in a fairly small room.

I am very pleased with the insert. I like the blower and convection heat and think it does a much better job as a whole house heater (comparing it to a stove in a prior house). That said, if I was to move into a house with a large family or great room the next purchase will be a stove.

Bottom line.... either choice is fine. Go with whatever you think will fit your budget and aesthetics better.

I concur w/EnginRep. We run our furnace blower on low speed (ECM so it only draws about 90W on low) to circulate the air in the house. Thermostat is set at 68F and it has shown 71-72F actual temp all day. It is around two corners and at the end of a hallway (about 30' from the insert), so it is not being directly influenced by the heat output. Of course it's only 39F outside right now, but on even really cold days the hp/furnace rarely runs when we're burning.

A stove is a superior heater in all cases. If you want to use a blower to make hot air then buy a blower for the stove. An insert is a compromise to make use of the existing fireplace, it is an inferior product. I lived with a large EPA insert and then tore down the chimney to make way for a freestanding stove. A smaller stove, and it heats much better while not having to listen to the noisy blower.

My opinion is that there is nothing an insert can do that a similar size stove can't do better. Tear down that fireplace!

Status
Not open for further replies.