Woohoo! Finally picked up a fireplace insert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You're right. It was a blessing in disguise! I cut out the damper plate but the damper... idk... surround was cast iron, and impossible to cut even with a fresh sawzall blade. So... I stomped on the end of the liner a bit, and got it to fit through.

Roof shot:
P2EI5rJ.jpg

Used 2x4s to make a temporary ramp to scoot it up into place (not pictured), here she is:

pmijDqo.jpg

First test burn with some smallish kindling and scraps last night:
2kBjYEg.jpg

Still need to finish fabricating the blockoff plate; I have it cut from aluminum but need to cut the hole for the liner in it. I might split it in two, or maybe just notch a U shape out of the back, then have a smaller panel seal that area behind the liner? I plan on jamming as much rockwool up there as I can, and using the blockoff plate to hold it up.

I'm sure I'll have a ton left over since I had to buy an entire roll; can I cut it up into small chunks and drop it down from above? Also, should insulate the top of the chimney cap? I was thinking if I insulated the top end, it would insulate the entire chimney cavity, and given that it's central to the house, it would keep the chimney fairly warm.

Thoughts?

Did larger burn today, got the paint to offgas a bit, it's been going since about noon, so about 8 hours now. Have not hooked up the blower yet, and I think I need to bend the hot air valve handle a bit more because I don't think I can slide it fully open.
Cast cuts like butter with a grinding wheel. Is that liner insulated?

It is not, but it's also not on an exterior wall. My plan was to use the left over rockwool to throw it down the chimeny, to help insulate the liner more. I'm also wondering if I can unsulate the bottom of the chimney cap/metal outlet thing. This would effectively seal the whole chimney interior off, and insulate it.

Today, we have a low of 28 deg. I started a fire at 1pm, and our house was 64 deg. I've put a few logs on since I got her going, but it's now a toasty 74 in the house. The issue is the house layout:

ukSMvyC.jpg

I work from home these days, on the left most upper corner red circle. Our living room is the upper right red circle.

The fireplace insert is located in the lower right corner room, which we don't use much. Since nobody is visiting us this year, we have relocated our bedroom to this room so the insert will at least provide heat before we go to bed.

The main problem is the thermostat that controls the furnace is the GREEN CIRCLE, located 8' from the fireplace. Running a fire means the boiler will basically never fire, and the other side of the house will get pretty cold.

Also, the Osburn manual says to close the air valve adjustment completely for maximum efficiency. Is this true? I thought closing it made it less efficient since its' not burning as hot?

The other issue is my girlfriend is being completely unreasonable about safe fire practices when we go to bed. She wants me to extinguish the fire completely before we sleep. Her relative is a fire fighter and has been to many house fires that started with fireplaces, so she thinks we cannot be unconscious while a fire goes out. Is that reasonable or ridiculous?

It is not, but it's also not on an exterior wall. My plan was to use the left over rockwool to throw it down the chimeny, to help insulate the liner more. I'm also wondering if I can unsulate the bottom of the chimney cap/metal outlet thing. This would effectively seal the whole chimney interior off, and insulate it.

Today, we have a low of 28 deg. I started a fire at 1pm, and our house was 64 deg. I've put a few logs on since I got her going, but it's now a toasty 74 in the house. The issue is the house layout:

ukSMvyC.jpg

I work from home these days, on the left most upper corner red circle. Our living room is the upper right red circle.

The fireplace insert is located in the lower right corner room, which we don't use much. Since nobody is visiting us this year, we have relocated our bedroom to this room so the insert will at least provide heat before we go to bed.

The main problem is the thermostat that controls the furnace is the GREEN CIRCLE, located 8' from the fireplace. Running a fire means the boiler will basically never fire, and the other side of the house will get pretty cold.

Also, the Osburn manual says to close the air valve adjustment completely for maximum efficiency. Is this true? I thought closing it made it less efficient since its' not burning as hot?

The other issue is my girlfriend is being completely unreasonable about safe fire practices when we go to bed. She wants me to extinguish the fire completely before we sleep. Her relative is a fire fighter and has been to many house fires that started with fireplaces, so she thinks we cannot be unconscious while a fire goes out. Is that reasonable or ridiculous?
I think your gf is being reasonable here, especially since code doesn't allow for a wood burner to be in a bedroom. There are many reasons for this.

ukSMvyC.jpg

So an uninsulated liner on an insert installed in a bedroom. I would say her caution is very reasonable and justified.

It's a living room with like 8 windows dudes. What is the issue? If anything happened I'd notice right away as the dogs would start barking.

Anyway, regarding the other questions... closed = optimal performance?

It's a living room with like 8 windows dudes. What is the issue? If anything happened I'd notice right away as the dogs would start barking.

Unless it was a problem with co when the fire died down. Or oxygen depletion. It is code for a reason. Safe fire practices means a safe install to start with.

The lower that you can set your air control, while maintaining good strong secondary combustion, the more efficient your burn will generally be.

In addition to what @bholler mentioned, you want your burner in a different room than your bed b/c if it does start a house fire, you will have more time to get out unharmed.

Yes closed more will be more efficient. And wide open will actually give you far less heat because it will all be going up the chimney

What is the issue? If anything happened I'd notice right away as the dogs would start barking.
CO...if something happens while you and the dogs are sleeping, high CO levels means nobody wakes up...ever.
It happened to a couple and their dogs here locally a couple years ago.
IIRC it was a pretty new install, I never heard if they figured out exactly what the problem was...but she didn't show up for work at the sheriffs dept. and they couldn't contact her, so they sent a sheriff for a welfare check, found the whole household deceased.

Reactions: Spanky
Okay, I installed some carbon monoxide detectors in the room with the fireplace, and the basement below it. Still sort of struggling with the air door a bit, it just doesn't seem to do much. If I close the air door all the way, should the fire choke out? Or should it keep going?

Air door...you mean the air control (lever?) yes it should keep burning when "closed" (they don't really close the whole way) but only after the firebox is up to operating temp, and if you are burning dry wood...if not, it will dwindle down and go out...

I did a video of my entire install, will post soon. Pretty yoked on how this turned out.

One issue I am having is that the 'air control lever' was bent 90 deg upwards when I got this stove, and given that the paddle portion of hte lever is under the stove somewhere, and the 90 degree bend hits the side of the stove when I push it closed, and the lever hits the wall of the fireplace when I open it, I have no idea if I'm getting full open or full closed on this thing.