Work Done in 2018

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I checked some trails that I didn't get at the last time I was back on my trail clearing job. Pics 2110 & 11 are a before and after, the maple was left for deer food since they had been eating the buds, 2112 & 13 is a small ravine we use when sledding, there wasn't anything down, 2115 was some rotten basswood that had come down which I cleared and 2116 & 17 was a very small dead elm or hemlock that was across the trail but hung up in a small tree that I'll burn in the outside fireplace.

Attachments

• 101_2110.JPG
    101_2110.JPG
    783.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 101_2111.JPG
    101_2111.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
  • 101_2112.JPG
    101_2112.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 159
  • 101_2113.JPG
    101_2113.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
  • 101_2115.JPG
    101_2115.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 161
  • 101_2116.JPG
    101_2116.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • 101_2117.JPG
    101_2117.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
Reactions: Lone_Gun
He kept talking about a break and how tired he was lol. Told him hard work builds character, his reply was that his kindle does too.
What's the btu rating on a kindle compared to the oak? ::P

We didn't get all the rain they thought we would get but it did get rid of most of the snow in certain areas. After getting some sand down on the driveway, I went trail clearing which was all smaller stuff, I did find this maple that was down that I plan on getting. I had to cook some scallop marinara so since I got a late start going into the woods, it was time to head back but not before the sun came out.

Attachments

• 101_2128.JPG
    101_2128.JPG
    852.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 101_2130.JPG
    101_2130.JPG
    798.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 101_2131.JPG
    101_2131.JPG
    619.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 101_2133.JPG
    101_2133.JPG
    886.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 101_2136.JPG
    101_2136.JPG
    789.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20181221_174451 (2).JPG
    20181221_174451 (2).JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 132
We didn't get all the rain they thought we would get but it did get rid of most of the snow in certain areas. After getting some sand down on the driveway, I went trail clearing which was all smaller stuff, I did find this maple that was down that I plan on getting. I had to cook some scallop marinara so since I got a late start going into the woods, it was time to head back but not before the sun came out.

Always with the food photos! :)

I just finished dinner and the words “scallop marinara” makes me hungry

Reactions: thewoodlands
Always with the food photos! :)

I just finished dinner and the words “scallop marinara” makes me hungry
Tomorrow a picture of a different downed tree with a food picture, Italian sausage, bell peppers,onions and a few other things in a red sauce. For Christmas Eve , I'll make some stuffed mushrooms we'll have with the Italian sausage. I lost 16 pounds (12 at the moment) :) so I could eat and not worry about being overweight.

The wife has been baking cookies, cinnamon buns and a whole bunch of other stuff so when I hit 219, I'll get back to 214.

I'll put the recipe up if you want it, give me a day or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodey and jatoxico
Scallop recipe please
I cook my Marinara sauce separately from the scallops so I'll get that up later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'll have that later tonight or tomorrow before noon. Make sure you clean your scallops before you cook them.
Cooking the Scallops

1. ½ cup of butter or margarine

2. 1 pound of scallops

3. 2 gloves of garlic sliced thin

4. 3 scallions ( I used 1 small onion chopped up)

5. In a large skillet, melt your butter or margarine. Add the scallops and onion. Saute for about 8 minutes, stir it every minute or so.

Last edited:
Marinara Sauce

I cook the Marinara sauce before I cook the scallops so once the scallops are done, they can go directly in the sauce.

1. 1 - 28 oz. can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes / marinara sauce

2. 1 - 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes / marinara sauce

3. Extra virgin olive oil

4. 7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered

5. ¼ cup of dry white wine

6. 1 – Teaspoon of Salt

7. Pepper to taste

8. ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley

9. I added some red pepper flakes to the marinara sauce

10. I also added sweet basil, we had some frozen from the garden so I grabbed about four leaves and broke them up in to the marinara sauce.

Preparation

Pour tomatoes into large bowl and crush with your clean hands.

In large skillet (not a deep pot) over low heat, heat the oil. When it is hot add garlic.

When garlic starts to sizzle or just before (don’t let it get brown) add the tomatoes. Add the red pepper flakes, sweet basil (if you don’t have fresh or frozen use the basil (dry) that you buy at the store and add the salt and pepper, stir.

Add everything from the scallops that you cooked into the marinara sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes. We served the Scallops Marinara on top of some spaghetti

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Tomorrow a picture of a different downed tree with a food picture, Italian sausage, bell peppers,onions and a few other things in a red sauce. For Christmas Eve , I'll make some stuffed mushrooms we'll have with the Italian sausage. I lost 16 pounds (12 at the moment) :) so I could eat and not worry about being overweight.

The wife has been baking cookies, cinnamon buns and a whole bunch of other stuff so when I hit 219, I'll get back to 214.

I'll put the recipe up if you want it, give me a day or two.

It sounds like we have the same weight management plan...

Marinara Sauce

I cook the Marinara sauce before I cook the scallops so once the scallops are done, they can go directly in the sauce.

1. 1 - 28 oz. can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes / marinara sauce

2. 1 - 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes / marinara sauce

3. Extra virgin olive oil

4. 7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered

5. ¼ cup of dry white wine

6. 1 – Teaspoon of Salt

7. Pepper to taste

8. ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley

9. I added some red pepper flakes to the marinara sauce

10. I also added sweet basil, we had some frozen from the garden so I grabbed about four leaves and broke them up in to the marinara sauce.

Preparation

Pour tomatoes into large bowl and crush with your clean hands.

In large skillet (not a deep pot) over low heat, heat the oil. When it is hot add garlic.

When garlic starts to sizzle or just before (don’t let it get brown) add the tomatoes. Add the red pepper flakes, sweet basil (if you don’t have fresh or frozen use the basil (dry) that you buy at the store and add the salt and pepper, stir.

Add everything from the scallops that you cooked into the marinara sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes. We served the Scallops Marinara on top of some spaghetti

My brother and I get together and cook for the wife and kids once a week. This is going to the top of the list after the holidays.

My brother and I get together and cook for the wife and kids once a week. This is going to the top of the list after the holidays.
I hope it taste good, you can use the same Marinara Sauce recipe and just add a pound of shrimp (not cooked in butter) just make sure the shrimp are cleaned and shelled, taste great too. I think after the sauce is cooked and you add the shrimp, I cooked it for 20 minutes and put it on top of some potato gnocchi. Each store will carry a different brand so this is just a picture.
04fde38f-5aa8-4287-ab75-a349ed81ab12_1.0116d45c14f4aae0e74d2a2337f0ac1c.jpg

This came off part of a Maple that came down a month or so ago, I started using a small draw knife yesterday and finished up the rest today (unless the boss wants more off) I'll sand it tomorrow and maybe get a coat of stain on it. The older cane is something my wife was using when she walks in the winter time, it has a nail in the bottom.

It's time to cook the sausage,bell peppers,onions in a red sauce for tomorrow night.

Attachments

• 101_2137.JPG
    101_2137.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 101_2138.JPG
    101_2138.JPG
    829.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 101_2139.JPG
    101_2139.JPG
    808.4 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: Lone_Gun
@thewoodlands I really enjoy reading this thread! Everything is interesting, keep up the great work pal!

@thewoodlands I really enjoy reading this thread! Everything is interesting, keep up the great work pal!
Thanks @kennyp2339 , maybe one of these days I'll stack some wood. I did cook the sausage,onions and bell peppers tonight so that should feed us for about three or four days.

I did the Marinara sauce different so it would come out a thicker sauce, we had some left after everything went in the crock pot so we had some potato gnocchi.

The wife wants some Braciole for New Years day so that will be next on the list.

The recipe for the Marinara Sauce I gave you taste good but we're use to a regular tomato sauce which is thicker so tonight I did a thicker version of a Marinara Sauce which came out real good. Once I get the ingredients changed along with the prep directions, I'll put it up.

Thicker Marinara Sauce

1. 2 - 28 oz. can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes /W.P.T.

2. 1 - 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes /D.T.

3. Gianelli Italian Sausage

4. Extra virgin olive oil

5. 7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered

6. ¼ cup of Chianti Wine

7. 1/2 – Teaspoon of Salt

8. Sweet Basil

9. A pinch of Sugar/add once all your blended ingredients are in

10. Pepper to taste

11. ¼ cup of chopped fresh parsley

12. In a deep pot add some olive oil and then brown the Italian Sausage, once the sausage are done remove from pot into another dish. You’ll have some fat from the sausage so I pour some in another dish but not all of it. Turn your burner off and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon which will loosen up some of the good tasty stuff on the bottom. Once the grease has cooled off ( you might need to turn the burner on low)enough where you won’t brown the garlic, add the garlic which you should be able to cook for four minutes before you add the first blended 28 oz. W.P.T. with red pepper flakes and sweet basil, you’ll blend the next 28 oz. can and the D.T too., have that first 28 oz. W.P.T. already blended before you put the garlic in. Once I get all the stuff blended and in the pot, I add Chianti,Salt,Pepper and the parsley.

I had to put a temporary base on Santa today and then start and finish the sanding on the cane. The rest of the pictures are from the sausage,peppers and onions I cooked yesterday. :)

Have a Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• 101_2140.JPG
    101_2140.JPG
    978.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 101_2142.JPG
    101_2142.JPG
    745.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 101_2143.JPG
    101_2143.JPG
    888.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 101_2144.JPG