Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I marked 15 Ash trees for felling once the leaves get off the trees, not all the Ash are pictured.
Is that plastic tape UV-resistant? Does it last a good while? Where do you get it?
I tried paint once but then I have to chop it off before burning so it doesn't poison my combustor..

Over in Germany right now. Heading back to the States tomorrow. The guys and gals over here sure know how to stack some firewood. They would put most of us to shame. Wonderfully perfect stacking. The common consensus seems to be top covering is “gut” as well. Almost every home in the mountains and country side has anywhere from 4-12 cords perfectly stacked and seemingly seasoned. It’s very cool to see.

Can’t wait to get back and start moving my shoulder season wood to the racks. That’s my weekend plan.

Is that plastic tape UV-resistant? Does it last a good while? Where do you get it?
I tried paint once but then I have to chop it off before burning so it doesn't poison my combustor..
I'm not sure what it's made of or if it's UV-resistant. Yes. I think we picked it up at Lowes.

Since it rained pretty good overnight, this morning I had the outside fireplace going by 8 a.m., about 1 p.m. today we started to get alerts for possible high winds so I let it burn down and then poured a few pails of water on it.

I was hoping that the junk wood I'm burning would be done before December but it should be done by the end of next week if not sooner.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I've actually been burning here today. With no sun and wind it's been cooler. The forecast appears to perk back up in a few days
I think our last fire was a few days ago in the morning, it looks like we'll start having fires again tomorrow after supper.

We hit 80 in the sun today with the temps at 68 tonight.

I think our last fire was a few days ago in the morning, it looks like we'll start having fires again tomorrow after supper.

We hit 80 in the sun today with the temps at 68 tonight.
Wow, I wish we could have a few more days over 60f. I have to do some exterior painting and priming...

Reactions: thewoodlands
Just in time for hockey season, what are you burning for firewood?

I have an endless supply of hemlock. The cottage stove (BK) is not fussy, I will burn hemlock, white birch and basswood in it through out the season and will get great burn times with it. The town stove (VC) will burn hemlock in shoulder season and hard maple, yellow birch, beech and BL in the dead of winter.

Wow, I wish we could have a few more days over 60f. I have to do some exterior painting and priming...
The cooler temps moved in overnight with more heavy rain, it looks like we'll have temps in the low 30's at night for about four days.

I have an endless supply of hemlock. The cottage stove (BK) is not fussy, I will burn hemlock, white birch and basswood in it through out the season and will get great burn times with it. The town stove (VC) will burn hemlock in shoulder season and hard maple, yellow birch, beech and BL in the dead of winter.
I don't mind burning hemlock and some of the first two loads of shoulder season wood we brought in had basswood in it which was perfect for the temps we were having.

You can't beat the last group you have for wood. ::P

I think my nephew may be getting the hang of scrounging wood..I must be wearing off on him, lol. He hooked up with a guy from work who has been taking out a few trees on his property out of town. Guy also has a big flat-bed pickup truck to haul it back, which is handy. ==c
Over the past few weeks they have hauled back a couple cords of wood. Sweetgum, Red Oak, and another species I'm unsure of.
We set up a couple of racks that one of my SILs wasn't using in her shed/"garage." We'll have to keep an eye on these racks for settling and tipping, since they aren't on the nice flat gravel bases that my two SILs have under their shed racks. These only have bricks under the feet of the racks, so they may sink into the ground unevenly.
I'm hoping these two rack of Sweetgum will dry fast this fall, and maybe settling will be less than it would be with, say, Oak. Here is the first, partial rack of Sweetgum we stacked a couple days ago. Hopefully, it will be good to go next season for their old VC Resolute III which in the walkout basement..the man cave with multiple flat-screens for simultaneous games. >>
The Oak will be stacked closer to the door near their upstairs stove (my old Fireview.)
ech racks.jpg
I also got them a partial 5x8 trailer load of Sycamore from my buddy's yard. It was dead for years, and we pitched most of it, but there was some passable shoulder wood left in the lower trunk. It's ready to go in the stove now. :cool:

Last edited:

Boy, we are in the low 90s here in Ohio until this weekend. Been that way the past 10 days. Very low humidity, but hot. Good wood seasoning conditions, just not in late September and now October.

Cooling off this weekend but probably not firing up the insert any time soon. Usually pull the trigger (out of excitement) by now.

we are in the low 90s here in Ohio until this weekend. Been that way the past 10 days. Very low humidity, but hot. Good wood seasoning conditions, just not in late September and now October.
Yeah, thank goodness for the low humidity here (getting down to around 40% in the heat of the day.) WIth normal moisture in the air, 50% or over, I wouldn't be getting any woodwork done.
I like going past the stacks of freshly-split wood and imagining how much it must be drying in this combination of temp, humidity and breeze..even if it's only for a few days. :)

Thinking I may burn at night starting tomorrow night. Lows in the low 40s and upper 30s consistent.
Have you been in the area that has been getting hit with the storms?

About two hours ago I made a fire with basswood and some smaller rounds of cherry, we heat from the basement but you can feel the difference up here already.

We have been having some above average temps but by Friday here we are lucky to be back in the 60's.. I know it is coming but I'll take 80's for Oct.

This wet weather has allowed me to burn some chit azz wood that has been hanging around on our house lot from clearing of some dead pine.

I start everything out with some dry pine kindling with fire starters and then add some dry pine splits until it's going pretty good and then add the wet stuff.

Attachments

• 101_9632.JPG
    101_9632.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 144
  • 101_9633.JPG
    101_9633.JPG
    741.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 101_9634.JPG
    101_9634.JPG
    658.4 KB · Views: 164
This wet weather has allowed me to burn some chit azz wood that has been hanging around on our house lot from clearing of some dead pine.

I start everything out with some dry pine kindling with fire starters and then add some dry pine splits until it's going pretty good and then add the wet stuff.

That will burn for a while! BK style.....

That will burn for a while! BK style.....
I would've burned more today but we had new tires put on the wives car before winter, some of the older tires were what they call chopped.

Yesterday it was 78 with high humidity
today bearly got to 50. Frost tonight low 28.
high tomorrow 39. A/C yesterday stove tomorrow
Pellet stove on tomorrow morning. Don't need to burn wood yet